Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/Albany (Alabama)
ALBANY, a city of Alabama, formerly known as New Decatur. It is about 80 miles N. of Birmingham. It is on the Tennessee river and on the Louisville and Nashville railroad. The town has grown rapidly in recent years and is now an important industrial center. There are extensive iron manufactures. It has also manufactories of cottonseed oil, lumber, railroad repair shops, and tanneries. Pop. (1910) 6,119; (1920) 7,652.