Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/Columbia University
COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY, an institution for higher education, in New York City. It was incorporated in 1754 as King's College. In 1784 the State Legislature passed an act vesting the property of King's College in the regents of the State of New York, and changing the name of the college to Columbia College. This act was repealed in 1787, and by a new charter granted by the State the property and franchises of King's College were vested in the trustees of Columbia College. From 1857 to 1897 the university was situated at 49th street and Madison avenue, New York. In the latter year it was removed to its present location on Morningside Heights. The university includes Columbia College, Barnard College, founded in 1899, which is an under-graduate college for women, the Graduate School, Schools of Political Science, Philosophy, Pure Science, the College of Physicians and Surgeons, School of Mines, School of Engineering, Teachers' College, College of Pharmacy, School of Journalism, School of Architecture, School of Business, and School of Dentistry. The university also maintains a summer session of six weeks in which are offered courses that are accepted as partial fulfillment of the requirements of certain academic degrees and diplomas. There is also a system of extension teaching for men and women who are engaged in teaching and can give only a portion of their time to study. The property of the university is valued at about $72,000,000, of which about $35,000,000 has been added by gift or bequest in the past twenty years. The annual expenses amount to about $6,500,000. The teaching staff in 1920 numbered 1,150. The total enrollment in all courses and departments is 28,314, President, Nicholas Murray Butler.