Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/Columbus (Ohio)
COLUMBUS, a city, capital of the State of Ohio, and county-seat of Franklin co.; on both sides of the Scioto river, about 70 miles from its mouth; and 100 miles N. E. of Cincinnati. It is the center of 11 railroad lines, and the third city in the State in population and importance. Area, 16½ square miles.
There are over 800 manufacturing establishments, with an annual product valued at about $100,000,000. Among the chief products are wagons, boots and shoes, tobacco, and machine shop products. There are eight National banks. The exchanges in the clearing house for the year ending Sept. 30, 1919, were $638,410,000.
There are excellent street and sewer systems. The noteworthy buildings are the United States Government Building, containing the Postoflice and Federal Court; the State Capitol; the Ohio State University; Central Ohio Insane Asylum; Odd Fellows' Hall; Masonic Temple; the Franklin County Court House; Soldiers and Sailors' Memorial; Columbus Public Library; and Y. M. C. A. building, and among 70 Protestant and 10 Roman Catholic churches are: Trinity Church (P. E.), St. Joseph's Cathedral (R. C.), Second Presbyterian, St. Paul's (Germ. Luth.), Broad Street (M. E.), Wesley Chapel, and the Third Avenue. The educational institutions include the Ohio State University, Columbus Normal School, Capital University, and several public and private high and secondary schools.
History.—Columbus was laid out in 1812; became the seat of the State government in 1816; and was incorporated as a city in 1834, with a population of less than 4,000. Pop. (1910) 181,548; (1920) 237,031.