Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/Concord (New Hampshire)
CONCORD, a city, capital of the State of New Hampshire, and county-seat of Merrimac county; on the Merrimac river and several branches of the Boston and Maine railroad; 75 miles N. W. of Boston.
Concord has an abundance of water power supplied by near-by streams, and extensive manufactories of carriages, shoes, twine, electrical apparatus, silverware, leather goods, machine shop products, etc. Near the city are extensive quarries of a fine-grained white granite. There are three National banks and several private banking houses.
Public Interests.—The city is well laid out with finely shaded streets, is lighted by gas and electricity, and has an extensive waterworks plant. The noteworthy buildings include the State Capitol, a fine building of Concord granite, the City Hall and Court House, the State Prison, State Insane Asylum, and the United States Government buildings. There is an excellent system of public schools, and several private schools, including St. Paul's School for boys.
History.—Concord was settled by the whites in 1725, on the site of an Indian village, but till 1765 it was called Rumford. It became a city in 1853. It is noted as the place where Hannah Dustin, another woman, and a boy, who had been taken captive by Indians at Haverhill, Mass., killed the 10 Indians, when asleep, with hatchets, and so escaped. Pop. (1910) 21,497; (1920) 22,167.