Open main menu

COVINGTON, a city and county-seat of Kenton co., Ky.; on the Ohio river, opposite Cincinnati, whichwith which it is connected by a handsome suspension bridge, 2,250 feet long, and costing $2,000,000. It is on the Louisville and Nashville and the Chesapeake and Ohio railroads. Electric lines connect it with near-by towns. It is a residence town for Cincinnati business men and is the see of a Catholic bishop. Covington is the farming and live-stock producing and trade center of central Kentucky, and has steamer connections with all river ports. The principal manufactories are cotton and woolen mills, rolling mills, tobacco factories, etc. Previous to the enactment of prohibition there were many distilleries. In 1919 there were 3 National banks, with $1,150,000 capital, and several daily and weekly newspapers. Covington is built on a beautiful plain, and has an area of over 5 square miles. The most notable buildings are the combined City Hall and Court House; the United States Government building, including the Postoffice and Federal Court rooms; the Public Library, the Roman Catholic Cathedral, and the Hospital of St. Elizabeth. Covington was settled in 1812; laid out in 1815, and incorporated as a city in 1834. Pop. (1910) 53,270; (1920) 57,121.