Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/Czernowitz
CZERNOWITZ, the capital of the former Austrian province of Bukowina; stands 720 feet above sea-level, near the right bank of the Pruth, 165 miles S. E. of Lemberg. Among its buildings are the palace of a Greek archbishop (1875); his cathedral (1864), on the model of St. Isaac's at St. Petersburg; the Armenian church (1875); the synagogue (1877); and the “Austria Monument” (1875). The university here was founded in 1875. The manufactures and trade previous to the World War, during which the town and its vicinity saw much severe fighting, were steadily developing. Pop. about 90,000.