Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/Dover (New Hampshire)
DOVER, a city and county-seat of Strafford co., N. H.; at the head of navigation on Cocheco river, and on the Boston and Maine railroad; 168 miles N. N. E. of Boston. It is situated on hilly ground, is regularly laid out, and has many handsome buildings and residences. The river at this point has a depth of 11 feet, affording good shipping accommodations. The falls of Cocheco, within the city limits, are the source of abundant water power. Dover's industries include several large cotton and woolen mills, an extensive print works, manufactories of boots and shoes, oil cloth, hats and caps, and several tanneries, brass and iron foundries, and machine shops. There are several churches, high school, St. Joseph's Hill School, Franklin Academy, National banks, several savings banks, daily and weekly newspapers. There are monuments to persons distinguished in Revolutionary history. It is the oldest city in the State; settled in 1623; nearly destroyed by the Indians in 1689; and chartered as a city in 1855. Pop. (1910) 13,247; (1920) 13,029.