Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/Fort Worth
FORT WORTH, a city of Texas, the county-seat of Tarrant co. It is on the Texas and Pacific, the International and Great Northern, the Chicago, Rock Island and Gulf, the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe, the Fort Worth and Denver City, the St. Louis and San Francisco, and other railroads. It is also on Trinity river. Fort Worth is the center of a large stock-raising and agricultural district and has a large jobbing trade in general commodities, and in hogs, sheep and cattle, grain, fruit, and produce. It has large stock yards with a daily capacity of over 30,000 head of cattle, and large packing houses. It has several important industries, including flour and stock-feed mills, rolling mills, railroad repair shops, foundries, cotton and oil mills, clothing-factories, chemical works, etc. There has been built, at a cost of nearly $1,500,000 a large storage dam on the west fork of the Trinity river, 7 miles from the city, with a storage capacity of 30 billion gallons of water. Fort Worth is the seat of the Fort Worth University, the Texas Christian University, and the Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, and has a Masonic Orphans' Home and School, several academies, a number of denominational schools, and technical, art, and music schools. There are a public library and the Medical Library. The city is supplied with an excellent system of roads and has over 30 parks or park places; about 100 churches; and 10 hospitals. There were in 1920 5 National banks. Fort Worth was founded as a military post in 1849, becoming the county-seat in 1860, and was incorporated in 1873. Pop. (1910) 73,312; (1920) 106,482.