Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/Galveston
GALVESTON, city and county-seat of Galveston co., Tex., on Galveston Island, between Galveston Bay and the Gulf of Mexico, and on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe, the Missouri, Kansas and Texas, the International and Great Northern, and several other large railroads; and having steamship lines connecting with New York, New Orleans, Vera Cruz, Liverpool, and nearly all South American and West Indian ports. It has the largest and deepest harbor on the Gulf coast, with two miles of wharf front. Following the great flood of 1900 a great sea-wall covering the entire frontage of the city was constructed at a cost of $2,000,000. The harbor was also improved by the United States Government and was made accessible for the largest steamers.
Public Interests.—Galveston is the second largest city and the commercial metropolis of the State, and is regularly laid out, with wide streets and handsome buildings. The public buildings include the United States Government Building, County Court House, City Hall, Supreme Court House, Cotton Exchange, Masonic Temple, and several club houses. Among the more noted educational institutions are the University of St. Mary, Medical School of the University of Texas, Ursuline Convent, Convent of the Sacred Heart, Ball High School, and the Rosenberg School. The city has electric lights, and street railroads, water-works, a public library, and several magnificent parks.
Business Interests.—The commerce of the city is very extensive. In the fiscal year 1920 exports were valued at $598,239,227, and imports at $16,287,637. In value of exports it was second only to New York. It is the first city in the United States in the export of cotton. The industries include cotton pressing, milling and manufacturing of cotton goods, bagging and cordage. In 1919 there were 2 National banks and several private banking institutions.
History.—Galveston was settled in 1837; captured by the Federal forces in 1862; and retaken by the Confederates in 1863. It was nearly destroyed by fire in 1885, and on Sept. 8, 1900, was visited by a violent tornado and flood, causing the loss of 7,000 lives and the destruction of property to the value of $20,000,000. Pop. (1910) 36,981; (1920) 44,255.
|© Keystone View Co.|
|THE GALVESTON SEA WALL AFTER A STORM|