Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/Jacksonville (Florida)
JACKSONVILLE, a city and county-seat of Duval co., Fla.; on St. Johns river, and the Florida East Coast, and other railroads; 139 miles S. of Savannah. The city is about 30 miles from the coast; and has regular steamer communication with all points on the St. Johns river, and also to Charleston, New York, and Boston, and sailing vessel communication with various foreign ports. The city is a farming, fruit growing, and lumbering trade and jobbing center for Florida and Southern Georgia. It has valuable phosphate interests. Jacksonville is highly esteemed as a winter resort, especially by people from the Northern and Eastern States. It is the seat of St. Luke's Hospital, the largest in the State, and the general offices of the Florida, Central and Pensacola, and the Jacksonville, Tampa and Key West railroads. There is an excellent system of docks. The city has National and several State and private banks. During the American-Spanish War, Jacksonville was used extensively as a point of embarkation of troops and supplies for Cuba, and as a coaling station. Pop. (1910) 57,699; (1920) 91,558.