Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/Little Rock
LITTLE ROCK, a city, capital of the State of Arkansas, and county-seat of Pulaski co.; on the Arkansas river, St. Louis, Iron Mountain and Southern, the St. Louis Southwestern and the Rock Island railroads; 125 miles S. W. of Memphis. It is the trade and jobbing center of the State; and has cotton-seed oil mills, gas works, railroad machine shops, cooperage shops, etc. It is the seat of the Law and Medical College of Arkansas, Arkansas Industrial University, and the Arkansas Schools for Deaf Mutes and the Blind, Little Rock University, Arkansas Female College, and Philander Smith College. It contains the State capitol, State Library, St. John's Military College, high schools, and convents; and has gas; electric light and street railroad plants; waterworks, many daily, weekly, and monthly periodicals. The city was settled in 1814; made the capital of the territory in 1820; and was held by the Confederates during the greater part of the Civil War. Pop. (1910) 45,941; (1920) 65,142.