Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/Madison (Wisconsin)
MADISON, a city, county-seat of Dane co., and capital of the State of Wisconsin; on the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul, the Chicago and Northwestern, and the Illinois Central railroads; 75 miles W. of Milwaukee. It is situated in the Four Lake country, being built on a strip of land between Lakes Mendota and Monona. It contains the capital, county court house, county jail, University of Wisconsin, State Institution for the Insane, United States Government Building, Soldiers' Orphans' Home, and several libraries. It has electric street railroads, gas and electric lights, waterworks. National and State banks, and daily and weekly newspapers. The city is a well-known summer resort, its air being recommended as beneficial for lung diseases. It has a large trade in agricultural productions, manufactories of bicycles, machinery, farming implements, carriages, wagons, etc. Pop. (1910) 25,531; (1920) 38,378.