Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/Newport (Rhode Island)
NEWPORT, a city, port of entry, county-seat of Newport co., and until 1900 one of the capitals of Rhode Island; on the island of Rhode Island, in Narragansett Bay, and on the New York, New Haven and Hartford railroad; about 30 miles S. E. of Providence. Its principal importance is as a summer resort, to which the coast near by is wholly given up. The bathing facilities are unsurpassed. There are many beautiful summer residences, and during the fashionable season Newport is filled with the wealthiest society of Boston, New York, and other cities. The harbor, one of the best on the coast, is defended by Fort Adams, one of the strongest forts in the United States. The locality has many natural curiosities, including the Hanging Rocks, Spouting Cave, and the Glen, a chasm 50 feet deep. The United States Naval War College, United States Training Station, Torpedo Station, Naval Hospital, and Marine Barracks are located here, and there are besides a public library, Newport Hospital, Hazard Memorial School, the Round Tower, or Old Stone Mill in Touro Park; the Vernon house, which was Rochambeau's headquarters, built in 1780, etc. During the World War Newport was an important naval station. Newport has manufactories of flour, cotton goods, copper, brass, oil, etc. Pop. (1910) 27,149; (1920) 30,255.