Open main menu

NORTH BERWICK, a fashionable watering-place of Haddingtonshire, Scotland; at the entrance to the Firth of Forth, 23 miles E. N. E. of Edinburgh. Behind it rises conical North Berwick Law (612 feet). Tantallon Castle 3 miles E., fronting the Bass Rock is a magnificent ruin, finely described in Scott's “Marmion.” A stronghold of the Douglases, it resisted James V. in 1528, but in 1639 was “dung down” by the Covenanters. Robert III. made North Berwick a royal burgh.