Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/Shreveport
SHREVEPORT, a city and parish-seat of Caddo parish, La.; on the Red river, and on the Texas and Pacific, the Houston and Shreveport, the St. Louis Southwestern, and other railroads, 326 miles N. W. of New Orleans. It is one of the most important cities in Louisiana, owing to its location in a great stockraising and cotton growing region. Here are St. John's College, St. Vincent's Convent, St. Mary's Convent, hospitals, sanitoriums, a high school, United States government building, United States Marine Hospital, board of trade, cotton exchange, waterworks, street railroad and electric light plants, National and State banks, and several daily and weekly newspapers. Shreveport has a large trade in wool, cotton, livestock, groceries, and hides; cotton gins, cotton-seed oil mills, cotton compresses, manufactories of ice, cotton machinery, etc. Pop. (1910) 28,015; (1920) 43,874.