Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/Tucson
TUCSON, a city and county-seat of Pima co., Ariz.; on the Santa Cruz river, and on the Southern Pacific and the El Paso and Southwestern railroads; 250 miles E. of Yuma. Here are the University of Arizona, the Institute of St. Joseph, a high school, several libraries, court house, hospital, convent, National banks, and daily and weekly newspapers. It is in the heart of a large farming, stock-raising and mining section; has a valuable trade in hides, wool, precious metals. The place was first settled by Jesuit missionaries in 1760. Prior to that year it had been an Indian town. In 1867-1877 it was the capital of the territory of Arizona. The United States Signal Station here is 2,404 feet above sea-level. Pop. (1910) 13,193; (1920) 20,292.