Open main menu

TULSA CITY, the county-seat of Tulsa co., Okla., about 95 miles northeast of Oklahoma City, on the Atchison, Topeka and Santea Fe, the Midland Valley, the Missouri, Kansas and Texas, the St. Louis and San Francisco, and the Tulsa and Sand Springs railroads. There are a high school, a Carnegie library, and handsome parks and boulevards. It is the seat of the Henry Kendall College. Natural gas, coal, and crude oil are found in vast abundance in the vicinity, and the city has become the center of a very prosperous oil producing region. There are also manufactures of brick and tile, sewer pipes, cotton-seed oil, glass, engines, pumps, and other machinery and tools, etc. Oil refining, coal mining, and wheat milling are also carried on extensively. Pop. (1910) 18,182; (1920) 72,075.