To amend the Copyright Act, 1978, so as to provide that originality shall be a requirement for copyright in any work; to apply certain provisions applying to a work, also to a substantial part of such work; to further define a diffusion service for certain purposes; to further define the circumstances in which reproduction of a work shall be permitted; to determine ownership of copyright; and to effect certain textual alterations; and to provide for matters connected therewith.
(English text signed by the State President.)
(Assented to 5 May 1980.)
Be it enacted by the State President, the Senate and the House of Assembly of the Republic of South Africa, as follows:―
“(2A) Any reference in this Act to the doing of any act in relation to any work shall, unless the context otherwise indicates, be construed as a reference also to the doing of any such act in relation to any substantial part of such work.”.
2. Section 2 of the principal Act is hereby amended―
3. Section 6 of the principal Act is hereby amended―
4. Section 7 of the principal Act is hereby amended―
5. Section 8 of the principal Act is hereby amended―
6. The following section is hereby substituted for section 9 of the principal Act:
7. Section 10 of the principal Act is hereby amended by the sunstitution for the words preceding paragraph (a) of the following words:
“Copyright in a broadcast [or any substantial part thereof] vests the exclusive right to do or to authorize the doing of any of the following acts in the Republic:”.
8. The following section is hereby substituted for section 13 of the principal Act:
9. The following section is hereby substituted for section 21 of the principal Act:
10. This Act shall be called the Copyright Amendment Act, 1980.