Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900/Baily, Charles

674488Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900, Volume 02 — Baily, Charles1885Gordon Goodwin

BAILY, CHARLES (1815–1878), architect and archaeologist, third son of William Baily, of 71 Gracechurch Street, London, and East Dulwich and Standon, Dorking, Surrey, was born 10 April 1815. His independent architectural work included the building of St. John's Church, East Dulwich, and the restoration of Barnard's Inn Hall,, and of Leigh Church (with new tower), near Tunbridge, Kent. He was for some years principal assistant to the City architect, London, in which capacity he took a leading part in constructing the new roofing of the Guildhall and in the building of the Corporation Library. In January 1844 Baily was elected a fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, and was also a prominent member of various archaeological societies. To the fourth volume of the serial published by the Surrey Archaeological Society he contributed 'Remarks on Timber Houses,' with many admirable illustrations by himself. Baily was long associated with Mr. G. R. French in the production of the noble 'Catalogue of the Antiquities and Works of Art exhibited at Ironmongers' Hall, London, in the month of May 1831,' 2 vols, 4to, 1869, and was master of the Ironmongers' Company in 1874-5. He died at Reigate 2 Oct. 1878.

[Information from Mr. W. Baily; City Press, 9 Oct. 1878; Builder, 12 Oct. 1878.]

G. G.