Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900/England, George (fl.1740-1788)
ENGLAND, GEORGE (fl. 1740–1788), organ-builder, built the organs of St. Stephen's, Walbrook, 1760; Gravesend Church, 1764; Ashton-under-Lyne, 1770; St. Michael's, Queenhithe, 1779; St. Mary's, Aldermary, 1781 (the last two in conjunction with Hugh Russell); besides those of St. Matthew's, Friday Street; St. Mildred's, Poultry; the German Lutheran Church, Goodman's Fields; the chapel of Dulwich College; St. Margaret Moses; and St. Alphege, Greenwich. ‘These organs were remarkable for the brightness and brilliancy of their chorus’ (Hopkins); that of St. Stephen's, Walbrook, a fine specimen of England's work, was repaired by Gray in 1825, rebuilt 1872, and considerably enlarged later by Hill & Son.
England married the daughter of Richard Bridge (another organ-builder) and was the father of George Pike England (1765?–1814), who left a list of the organs he built in an extant account book. They are those of: St. George's Chapel; Portsmouth Common, 1788; St. James's, Clerkenwell, and Fetter Lane Chapel, 1790; Warminster Church, and Adelphi Chapel, 1791; Gainsborough Church, Lincolnshire, 1793; Newington Church, Surrey, and Blandford Church, 1794; Carmarthen Church, 1796; St. Margaret's, Lothbury, 1801; Sardinian Chapel, 1802; Newark Church, Nottinghamshire, 1803; Sheffield Parish Church; St. Philip's, Birmingham, and St. Martin's Outwich, 1805; Hinckley Parish Church, 1808; Stourbridge; Richmond, Yorkshire; High Church, Lancaster, 1809; Shiffnall, Salop, and Ulverston, 1811; and St. Mary's, Islington, 1812. According to Warman, the organ of Durham Cathedral is ascribed to G. P. England, in conjunction with Nicholls, 1815.
[Rimbault and Hopkins on The Organ; J. W. Warman's The Organ and its Compass.]