Dual and Triple Routing on State Trunklines 1983-03-17
|DATE:||March 17, 1983|
|TO:||Trunkline Numbering Committee|
|FROM:||John J. Kanillopoolos, Supervising Engineer|
Reflective Systems Unit
Traffic and Safety Division
|SUBJECT:||Dual and Triple Routing on State Trunklines|
At our last Trunkline Numbering Committee meeting December 1982, we reviewed the list of dual and triple routing researched and prepared by the Traffic and Safety Division; a list prepared by Transportation Planning from our inventory and a Transportation Planning proposed recommendation to change some segments of five routes. Concerning your suggestions:
- - M-28 is a continuous route along the northern portion of the U.P. and would be impractical to change this route number. An alternative would be to have US-41 which intersects with US-2, go west to existing US-141, then replace existing US-141 up to M-28. This would require a new route number between Rapid River and Marquette for the existing US-41.
- - The District Traffic and Safety Engineer, Paul Michelin, and we concur that US-2 could terminate at St. Ignace. We recommend that the department contact AASHTO and proceed to remove US-2 along I-75.
- - The District Traffic and Safety Engineer, Fred Eggan, and we concur that M-68 should end at Alanson.
- - District Traffic and Safety Engineer, Bruce Conradson, has already removed the signs along this section of M-66.
- ultimately save this agency funds. District Traffic and Safety Engineer, Dave Van Hine, suggested consideration be given to extending M-25 from Bay City to Ludington instead of changing to M-10. M-25 would be a continuous route from Port Huron to Ludington. - We concur with changing US-10 to M-10 from Ludington to Bay City, and eliminating US-10 from Bay City to Detroit. This action would require extension of US-24 (Telegraph Road) to I-75 changing US-10BR in the city of Pontiac to US-24BR, and extending M-4 (Northwestern Highway) to Cobo Hall. Although this is an expensive option, this will
Other comments prepared by Traffic and Safety Division on the list of dual and triple routing segnments.
- Segment #1, US-10, I-75, and US-23 - We propose eliminating US-10.
- Segment #5, BL-94, M-50, and BL-127 in Jackson - We propose that BL-127 be removed in the city of Jackson
- Segment #8, M-46, US-31BR, and I-96BS in Muskegon - We recommend that M-46 end at US-31BR and the I-96BS be eliminated.
- Segment #9, US-2 at I-75 - Recommend that US-2 be deleted along the section from St. Ignace to Sault Ste. Marie.
- Segment #12, M-27, M-33 in Cheboygan County - We recommend removal of M-33 between M-27 and US-23.
- Segment #14, US-31, M-68 in Emmet County - We recommend ending of M-68 at Alanson.
- Segment 15, M-66 and M-32 in Charlevoix County - We recommend M-32 end at M-66.
- Segment #51, M-54 and M-83 - M-54 can be terminated at the junction of Gera-Birch Run Road intersection.
- Segment #57, BL-96, US-31BR - Eliminate BL-96, city of Muskegon.
- Segment #60, US-10, I-75 - Eliminate US-10.
- Segment #62, M-43, M-52 Ingham County - End M-43 at the north junction of M-52.
- Segment #76, BL-196, US-31BR, city of Holland - Eliminate US-31BR.
- Segment #79, US-31, US-33, Berrien County - Eliminate US-33 from the proposed US-31 freeway through St. Joseph up to I-196 and renumber it M-63.
- Segment 82, US-33, BL-94 - Eliminate US-33 and change it to M-63.
- Segment #94, M-50, US-127BR, city of Jackson - Eliminate US-127BR.
- Segment #107, US-31BR, M-46 - End M-46 at US-31BR.
- Segment #108, M-20, US-10BR, city of Midland - End M-20 at US-10BR.
- Segment #110, US-10BR, BL-75 - Change US-10BR to US-24BR in the city of Pontiac.
- Segment #111, US-10, US-24, Oakland County - Eliminate US-10.
These items should be given prompt consideration.
|cc||R. J. Ku2ma|
Reflective Systems Unit
District Traffic and Safety Engineers