Open main menu

AUBURN, the capital of Cayuga county, in the state of New York, on the railway between Albany and Buffalo, 174 miles W. of the former. The irregularity of the surface on which the city is built has prevented the com plete carrying out of the rectangular arrangement of streets, which is so much in favour in the United States, but the thoroughfares are wide and lined with trees, and the houses for the most part well built. The principal public buildings are in Genesee Street. The most remark able of the institutions is the state prison, founded in 1816, which is conducted on the "silent system," and usually con tains upwards of 1000 prisoners, who are employed each in the work to which he has been trained. Auburn also possesses a Presbyterian theological seminary, founded in 1821, an academy, five public free schools, sixteen churches, an orphan asylum, two opera houses, and several news paper offices. The water-power supplied by the outlet of the neighbouring lake of Owasco is utilised in a number of manufactories. Cotton and woollen goods, carpets, agricultural implements and other tools, paper, flour, and beer are the principal products.