Open main menu

AURAY, a small town of France, situated on the slope of a hill near the mouth of the river of the same name, in the department of Morbihan, 10 miles W. of Vannes. Its port is greatly frequented by coasting vessels ; and it carries on a considerable industry in stocking-weaving, silk-spinning, tanning, shipbuilding, &c. The principal buildings are the church of St Esprit (13th century), which is now transformed into a college, the church of St Gildas, the town-house (17th century), and the Chartreuse, which marks the site of the battle of 1364, in which Charles of Blois was defeated by John de Montfort. In the neighbourhood is the church of Sainte Anne d Auray, one of the principal places of pilgrimage in Brittany. Population, 4542. (See Palliser s Brittany and its Bye- ways, 1869.)