Encyclopædia Britannica, Ninth Edition/Troitsk
TROITSK, a district town of Russia, in the government of Orenburg, situated in a fertile steppe 392 miles to the north-east of Orenburg, on the Siberian highway, is one of those towns which have grown rapidly of late in the south-east of Russia. The Troitskiy fort, erected in 1743, became a centre for the exchange trade with the Kirghiz steppe and Turkestan, and in that trade Troitsk is now second only to Orenburg. Cotton, silk, and especially horses and cattle are imported, while leather, cotton, and woollen and metal wares are exported. An active trade in corn for the Ural gold-mines is carried on. The population in 1884 was 13,000.