First Olbiil Era Kelulau
FIRST OLBIIL ERA KELULAU
Third Regular Session, July 1981 - RPPL NO. /-8
(Introduced as SE No. 10, SDI)
A BILL FOR AN ACTEdit
To establish the National Congress Library, and for other purposes.
THE PEOPLE OF PALAU REPRESENTED IN THE OLBIIL ERA KELULAU DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS:
- Congress Library created. There is hereby established a National Congress Library, herein referred to as the "Library".
- Purpose of Library. The Library shall provide a comprehensive research and reference service on legislative problems and shall secure reports of various officers, ministers, bureaus, and agencies of the national and state governments of the Republic of Palau whenever necessary and of other countries and nations and such other materials, periodicals or books as will furnish the fullest information practicable upon matters pertaining to current or proposed legislation and to legislative and administrative problems.
- Title to Library property. The title to any and all library property shall be in the National Government of the Republic of Palau.
- Use of the Library. The Library shall be available for the use of citizens of the Republic of Palau in accordance with the rules and regulations set forth by the Librarian with the approval of the President of the Senate and Speaker of the House of Delegates.
- Congress Librarian. The Librarian of the Library shall be appointed by the President of the Senate and Speaker of the House of Delegates, solely on the basis of merit and fitness to perform the duties of the office. The Librarian shall be responsible to the President of the Senate and Speaker of the House of Delegates for the administration and operation of the Library, its organization, property, and personnel. The Librarian, with the approval of the President of the Senate and Speaker of the House of Delegates, shall prepare rules and regulations for the governing of the Library and its departments. The Librarian shall make an annual report to both Houses of the Olbiil Era Kelulau at the end of each year, with respect to the activities, financial status, conditions of the Library, and recommendations as to future operations.
- Donations to Library. The Librarian is hereby authorized to accept on behalf and in the name of the Library, from any government, agency, individual, or any other source, advisory services, grants-in-aid, gifts and donations of money and other property for the benefit of the Library; provided that any grant in aid, donation, or other form of assistance involving an obligation on the part of the Library shall require the approval of the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Delegates.
- Library building. The President of the Republic of Palau, upon prior consultation with the President of the Senate and Speaker of the House of Delegates, is empowered and authorized to set aside a parcel of public lands upon which to build a permanent building for the Library. The President of the Senate and Speaker of the House of Delegates shall approve the final design for the construction of the Library building.
- Authorization of funds. There is hereby authorized to be appropriated from the National Treasury such sums as shall be necessary to carry out the provisions of this Act.
- Effective date. This Act shall take effect upon its approval by the President of the Republic, or upon its becoming law without such approval, except as otherwise provided by law.
Approved this 18 day of August, 1981
Haruo I. Remeliik
Republic of Palau