History of Iowa From the Earliest Times to the Beginning of the Twentieth Century/4/Ariel K. Eaton
ARIEL K. EATON, one of the lawmakers of Iowa, was born at Sutton, New Hampshire, on the 1st of December, 1813. His education was acquired in the public schools and for several years he was a teacher. In 1841 he located at Winchester, Indiana, where he was elected county auditor. He was admitted to the bar and for several years practiced law. In 1846 he removed to Delaware County, Iowa, where he built the second log cabin in the new town of Delhi. He was soon elected prosecuting attorney and afterwards county judge. In 1850 he was elected a representative in the Third General Assembly and was chairman of the committee on schools. He was reëlected to the Fourth General Assembly which enacted the Code of 1851. Upon the establishment of the new United States Land Office at Decorah in 1855, Mr. Eaton was appointed by President Pierce receiver of public money. In 1856 the Land Office was removed to Osage and Mr. Eaton made that place his permanent home. After his retirement from office and the practice of law, General Eaton for many years contributed valuable historical articles to the press. He died July 14, 1896.