History of Iowa From the Earliest Times to the Beginning of the Twentieth Century/4/Edmund Booth
EDMUND BOOTH, pioneer journalist, came to the Territory of Iowa in 1839, locating in Jones County, where he built the first frame house. It was he who gave to his home town the beautiful Indian name, Anamosa, which signifies “White Fawn,” and belonged to a bright Indian girl of that section of the country. Mr. Booth was born in Springfield, Massachusetts, August 24, 1810. At the age of four he lost his hearing through illness and was educated at the American School for the Deaf at Hartford, Connecticut, where he served several years as a teacher. He received no college education, but the honorary degree of A. M. has been conferred upon him by the Oallaudet College of the Deaf at Washington, D. C. In 1855 Mr. Booth became editor of the Anamosa Eureka which was a radical antislavery journal and one of the most ably conducted in the State. When the Republican party was organized the Eureka became an advocate of its principles. Mr. Booth wag the originator of the movement to secure the education of the deaf children of Iowa at Jacksonville, Illinois, before our State provided an institution for their accommodation. He was chairman of the National Convention of Deaf Mutes at Cincinnati in 1880. During all of the years that Mr. Booth has lived in Iowa he has been a positive force in the community and in the field of journalism has been an influential factor in politics.