Memorandum to the Soviet Government from African Students in the Soviet Union
In light of the numerous threats of murder directed at African students in the Soviet Union, and especially the most recent threat, which claimed as its victim one of the African students from Ghana, Addo, we urgently demand of the Soviet authorities:
- That Soviet authorities publicize the results of the investigation connected to the suspicious death of our brother.
- All details of this case and all steps taken in connection with it should be explained and publicized, as well as any conclusions reached. We should also be informed, if possible, as to whether there was any foulplay here, and if there any did occur, the individuals implicated in it should be severely punished.
- We would like to draw the attention of the Soviet authorities to the fact that several incidents in which African students were subjected to physical violence have already taken place.
- Immediate measures should be taken to curtail terrorist acts directed at African students in particular and at foreign students in general.
- People committing barbaric acts must be reeducated by Soviet organizations and institutions in such a way that they alter their rude actions in relation to African students and other foreign students.
- Since the Soviet government has invited us here to carry out our education, we would like a guarantee of our personal security.
- We expect prompt action to be taken in accordance with the present petition.
- We hope that friendship between the African and Soviet peoples will find expression not only in words but also in deeds.
[signed] The Nations of Africa