Message to the Joint Force
Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
Washington, DC 20318-9999
2 June 2020
- Chief of Staff of the Army
- Commandant of the Marine Corps
- Chief of Naval Operations
- Chief of Staff of the Air Force
- Chief of the National Guard Bureau
- Commandant of the Coast Guard
- Chief of Space Operations
- Commanders of the Combatant Commands
Subject: Message to the Joint Force
1. Every member of the U.S. military swears an oath to support and defend the Constitution and the values embedded within it. This document is founded on the essential principle that all men and women are born free and equal, and should be treated with respect and dignity. It also gives Americans the right to freedom of speech and peaceful assembly. We in uniform — all branches, all components, and all ranks — remain committed to our national values and principles embedded in the Constitution.
2. During this current crisis, the National Guard is operating under the authority of state governors to protect lives and property, preserve peace, and ensure public safety.
3. As members of the Joint Force — comprised of all races, colors, and creeds — you embody the ideals of our Constitution. Please remind all of our troops and leaders that we will uphold the values of our nation, and operate consistent with national laws and our own high standards of conduct at all times.
We all committed our lives to the idea that is America — we will stay true to that oath and the American people.
Mark A. Milley
Mark A. Milley
General, U.S. Army
- Secretary of Defense
- Deputy Secretary of Defense
- Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
- Director, Joint Staff