Notable South Australians/Charles Hill
BORN August 13, 1824, in Coventry, England. As he evinced at an early age a taste for art, he was articled for seven years to an engraver at Newcastle-on-Tyne. Entered the Academy of Fine Arts in 1840, and continued to study in the same institution after it was transformed into a School of Design and Arts, under Mr. W. B. Scott, A.M. This gentleman subsequently availed himself of Mr. Hill's assistance in preparing the posthumous works of his late brother, David Scott, R.A.S. After filling other important positions in England, Mr. Hill left for South Australia, arriving here by the ship "Historia," July 28,1854. He started in business as an engraver, but finding little to do, applied for, and obtained the appointment of Professor of Drawing to St. Peter's College and other educational establishments. Having inaugurated a School of Arts at his own residence, preliminary meetings with a view to increase its usefulness were held, and a society to promote its interests formed. It was not, however, till 1860 that the School of Design, of which this was the nucleus, was opened, with Mr. Hill as master. This post he filled in a creditable manner till September 30, 1881, when the school was handed over to the Governors of the South Australian Institute. Since then he has continued to use his graver and brush in that beautiful occupation that takes so little yet gives so much. In 1861 he obtained a special prize of five guineas for portrait painting, and also the gold and silver medals for painting at the Intercolonial Exhibition, Adelaide, 1881. Mr. Hill is a member of the Bohemian Club, and president of the Adelaide Sketch Club.