Oriental Scenery/Part 2/Plate 4

No. IV.

THE WRITERS' BUILDINGS, CALCUTTA.

The Writers' Buildings, so called from being the residence of the junior part of the Gentlemen in the service of the English East India Company. Immediately beyond this Edifice is the old Court House; the road leads on to the Loll Bazaar; the obelisk was erected by Governor Holwell,[1] in commemoration of the dreadful circumstance which happened in the prison called the Black Hole in the year 1756.

Oriental Scenery Part 2 Fig 4.jpg
The writers' buildings, Calcutta.

  1. See Holwell's India Tracts.