tories. The Emperor Theodosius reduces them to submission. They retain settlements in Thracia and Asia Minor.
395. Final division of the Roman empire between Arcadius and Honorius, the two sons of Theodosius. The Goths revolt, and under Alaric attack various parts of both the Roman empires.
410. Alaric takes the city of Rome.
412. The Goths march into Gaul, and in 418 into Spain, which bad been invaded by hosts of Vandals, Suevi, Alani, and other Germanic nations. Britain is formally abandoned by the Roman empire of the West.
428. Genseric, king of the Vandals, conquers the Roman province of North Africa.
441. The Huns attack the Eastern empire.