own grounds, the first and only in the United States until 1884.
Dr. LeMoyne died October 14, 1879 of diabetes and was cremated.
Of his sons, Frank, born at Washington, Pennsylvania, April, 1839, followed him in the medical profession. A. K.
Lennox, Richmond (1861-1895).
Richmond Lennox was born in Brook- lyn, New York, June 28, 1861. He was educated at the Brooklyn Polytechnic Institute, and graduated at the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New York in 1882. After serving as interne at the Roos- evelt Hospital, he spent two years in the study of the eye and ear in Germany, France, and England. On his retmn to Brooklyn he devoted himself to ophthal- mology and otology, was connected with the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary; ophthalmologic surgeon to the Brooklyn Eye and Ear Hospital, and to the Kings County Hospital. He was a member of the American Ophthalmological Society, was recognized as an able operator in eye disease, and did good work in his contri- butions to literature.
Unfortunately his life was cut short at the age of thirty-four, his death occurring November 14, 1895. H. F.
Knapp's Archives of Ophthalmology, vol.
Letterman, Jonathan (1824-1872).
The son of a prominent doctor, he en- tered after private tuition the Jefferson Medical College, graduated M. D. in 1849 and entered the army as assistant-sur- geon in the same year and was immediate- ly assigned to duty in the Seminole War, at the close of which he entered upon a diversified period of service at various frontier stations, with brief respite at Fort Monroe. In 1861 he was assigned to duty with the army of the Potomac, and in May, 1862, was made medical di- rector of the Department of West Virginia. A month prior to his promotion to the grade of surgeon-major he succeeded to the position of medical director of the army of the Potomac. Here he evinced a remarkable grade of administrative
abiUty, rehabilitating the service of the sick, creating a military medical organi- zation, installing an effective hospital service, also instituting a system of trans- portation of the wounded in charge of an ambulance corps, making the medical department adequate to the needs of even such great battles as Chancellorsville and Gettysburg. The organization thus cre- ated formed the basis of the military med- ical administration during the remainder of the war. He resigned December 22, 1864, to engage in civilian work in Cali- fornia, and in 1866 pubHshed his "Medical Recollections of the Army of the Poto- mac." He was also a surgeon- general of California in 1868, and a member of the Board of Medical Examiners of the Uni- versity of California, 1870. He died March 15, 1872. J. E. P.
Clements, B. A., Journal of the Military Ser- vice Institution, 1883.
Levis, Richard J. (1827-1890).
Richard J. Levis, born June 28, 1827, in Philadelphia, graduated from the Cen- tral High School, and in 1848 from Jeffer- son Medical College. He settled in Phila- delphia and attained a high reputation as a general and ophthalmic surgeon. In 1859 he was elected surgeon to the Phila- delphia Hospital and in 1871 to the Pennsylvania Hospital where he served until 1887. He was also an attending surgeon at Wills Eye Hospital. During the Civil War he was acting assistant sur- geon to the United States Military Hos- pital in Philadelphia. A skillful ophthal- mic surgeon, he introduced the well known wire loop still used in certain cases of extraction of cataract. For many years he was clinical lecturer on ophthal- mology and aural surgery at Jefferson Medical College and also took up active work at Jefferson Hospital, helping to estabhsh the Philadelphia Polytechnic, where he held the chair of clinical and operative surgery.
He died November 12, 1890.
Morton's History of the Pennsylvania Hos- pital, 1895.