in pursuance of a fixed intention to study medicine. He graduated from the University in 1875, being the Val- edictorian of his class. In April 1877 he became assistant house surgeon of the Charity Hospital, holding this po- sition until 1881, when he accepted the post of house surgeon to the Hotel Dieu. On April 4, 1882 he was elected house surgeon of the Charity Hospital and held this office until his death in 1894.
From 1875 to 1885 he was demon- strator of anatomy and it is recorded that he never missed a single appoint- ment with his classes. In 1886 he became professor of materia medica and therapeutics, and filled this posit- ion until the end of the session of 1892-3 when he was elected professor of surgery, succeeding Dr. Logan.
His simple direct style, made him one of the best lecturers ever connected with the medical department, and his gentle yet strong personality won uni- versal attachment and regard.
As a surgeon Miles possessed the clear mind and steady hand that over- came all emergencies. He had great success with gunshot wounds of the abdomen and wrote several papers on the subject. An easy writer, he, however, contributed comparatively little to medical literatvu'e. Among his papers may be mentioned: "Tra- cheotomy in a case of bronchocele," "Epithehoma and its treatment;" " Report of a case of remarkable con- trol over muscular movements," which were published in the " New Orleans Medical and Surgical Journal."
"A case of gunshot wound of abdomen with sixteen perforations of the ileum and three of the mesentery." ("Phila- delphia Medical News.")
In 1894 he read a paper on, "Thirteen cases of gunshot wounds of the abdo- men," before the American Surgical Association, this appeared subse- quently in the "Annals of Surgery." For several years he was co-editor of the "New Orleans Medical and Surgical
Journal;" was a member of the American Surgical Association; vice-president of the Southern Surgical and Gynecological Association and jiresident of the Louis- ana State Medical Society. His last paper was a "Life of Dr. Warren Stone."
His executive ability was notable and during his regime at the Charity Hospital many improvements were instituted. The ambulance system was largely his plan, his suggest- ions assisted in the planning of the out- door clinical buildings, and the new amphitheatre, which he never beheld completed.
To his wisdom is greatly due the founding of the Charity Hospital and the Training School for Nurses, of whose faculty he was first dean.
J. G. R.
N. Orl. M. and .'^. Jour., n. s., vol. xxii., 1894 —
Tr. South. Surg, and Ciynoo. Ass., 1902,
Phila., 1903. voi. xv., port.
Miles, Manly (1826-1896).
Manly Miles, physiologist, was born at Homer, Cortland County, New York, July 20, 1826; the son of Manly Miles, a soldier of the Revolution, and Mary Cushman, a lineal descendant of Miles Standish. In 1837 his family moved to Flint, Michigan, where he worked on the farm, to his common school edu- cation adding reading and study dur- ing spare moments. He was wide- ly known as the "boy with a book," and the I^oy who never failed to ac- complish anything he undertook. In 1850 he graduated M.D. from Rush Medical College, Chicago, ami practised in Flint till 1859, when he was ap- pointed liy Gov. Wisner assistant state geologist in the department of zoology. In 1860 he was appointed professor of animal physiology and zoology in the Michigan State Agricultural College at Lansing. While in the zoological deijartment of the Geologic- al State Survey he was in constant correspondence with the leading natur- alists of the period, as Agassiz, Cope,