Axis." ("Journal, Nervous and Mental Diseases," 1S79.)
"Pathology of Yellow Fever." (" New York Medical Journal," February, 1879.)
" Nature of the Poison of Yellow Fever and Its Prevention." (" New York Med- ical Journal," May, 1879.)
" Destructive Lesion of the Left Hemis- phere with General Pachymeningitis," read before American Neurological Asso- ciation, June 15, ISSl.
"Pathological Anatomy of Leprosy." ("Archives of Medicine," December, 1881.)
"Is Bacillus LeprjB a Reality or Fiction?" ("Chicago Medical Journal and Examiner," 1882.)
"Influence of the Structure of the Double-contoured Nerve Fiber upon the Production and Conduction of Nerve Force." ("Proceedings, American So- ciety for Advancement of Sciences," 1881.)
" Case with Tumor in Fourth Ventricle of the Brain, Unaccompanied with Special Symptoms." ("Journal, Ner- vous and Mental Diseases," July, 1822.)
"Microscopical Research into the Nature of the So-called Bacillus Tuber- culosis," read before New Orleans Medical and Surgical Association, No- vember 6, 1882.
"Pseudo-bacillus Tuberculsois," New Orleans Pathological Society, 1883.
"Pathological Anatomy of the Cerebro- spinal Axis of a Case of Chronic Myelitis of Nineteen Years' Standing." ("Jour- nal, Nervous and Mental Disases," July, 1883. J. G. R.
N. Orl. M. & S. J., 1884 and 1888, n. s. xii, x\'i.
Scott, Upton (1722-1814).
A founder and first president of the Medical and Chirurgical Faculty of Mary- land, he was the son of Francis Scott, of Templepatrick, near Antrim, Ireland, where he was born in the year 1722. After a hterary training, probably at the University of Dublin, he began to study medicine and early in 1747 purchased for £Q0 a surgeon-mate's position in one of
the oldest of the British regiments, that of Lord George Sackville, and was sta- tioned in Scotland. This was the regi- ment commanded by Wolfe. He accom- panied his command in the ensuing cam- paign in Flanders. During the winter the regiment came down into the low- lands and Dr. Scott availed himself of the opportunity to attend lectures at Edin- burgh and Glasgow, taking his M. D. from the latter, April 10, 1753, and having secured an engagement with Mr. Horatio Sharpe, the new governor of Maryland he disposed of his commis- sion and sailed for Annapolis the ensuing summer.
Favored by the patronage of Gov. Sharpe, he became the court physician of the Maryland capital, and secured a large practice. He also held the sheriff- ship of Anne Arundel County in 1759 and secretaryship of the Council or Upper House of Assembly. On his return to Maryland, after the war, he seems to have recovered his property and to have enjoyed the confidence of the commu- nity, as though no differences had ever existed.
In 1760 Dr. Scott built a handsome brick house. Here, in the exercise of a generous hospitality, he passed a green old age and died on the twenty-third of February, 1814, aged ninety-one.
Various relics of him have been pre- served besides his letters. Among these are his diploma, his medicine chest, a miniature painted on ivory, a pair of pistols presented to him by Col. Wolfe, a portrait of Dr. CuUen, the gift of that great physician and a letter from him, in which he speaks of Scott as one among his first pupils, and a "List of Flowers that Grow in the Vicinity of the Cape of Good Hope," which was handed in the form of an order to his nephew, Lieut. D. Murray, of the United States Navy, at Annapolis in 1807. Dr. Scott wanted to bring to Maryland for planting purposes near AnnapoUs all seeds and bulbs of Cape of Good Hope plants that could possibly be obtained, and as Lieut. Murray attended to this order for him it is prob-