called "Stevenson's Folly," on the banks of Jones Falls, just north of the present city of Baltimore. This was connected with the tow^n by a long trestle bridge over the meadow or marsh. Here he maintained, at his own expense, an inoculating hospital from 1768 to 177t), and again after the Revolution, from 1786 to 1800. In 1765 he was styled "the most successful inoculator in America." He did not confine his opera- tions to Baltimore but went out into the counties to inoculate the people of the state. Among those who submitted to inoculation at his house was Gen. James Wilkinson, afterwards commander-in- chief of the American Arm}% and he has left an account of the event in his "Memoirs," i, p. 11. It may be interest- ing to note that his charge for inocula- tion was two pistoles, and for board and lodgings, twenty shillings a week. At the outbreak of the Revolution he espoused the royal cause and left Balti- more on the declaration of independence. His brother John left with him although he had founded the trade of Baltimore and had the title, "Romulus of Balti- more." Henry, however, after holding office as surgeon in the British Navy from 1776 to 1786, returned in the latter year and continued to practise in Balti- more until his death, March 31, 1814. He, Henr} Stevenson, was one of the founders of the Medical College and Chirurgical Faculty of Maryland in 1799. In his treatment of yellow fever during the epidemic of 1797, he reported sixty- seven cases of the disease in his practice from July to October in that year with but six deaths. In the treatment he used no venesection, and little calomel but tonics freely. Dr. Stevenson left numerous descendants in Maryland. He was married three times; first, to Miss Stokes of Harford County, and had a son and daughter, George and Martha; second, to Anna, daughter of the Rev. John Henry, and had two sons and two daugh- ters, Cosmo, Gordon, Anna, Julia; third, to Ada C. Bondell, no issue.
E. F. C.
In the Maryland Medical Journal, Centen- nial Number, April 29, 1899, there is a picture of Dr. Stevens, also of his house "Parnassus." ConioH's Med. Annals of Maryland, 190.'i.
Stevenson, Sarah Hackett (1849-1910).
This pioneer woman physician, was the daughter of Col. John Stevenson, and born at Buffalo Grove, Illinois, P'ebruary 2, 1849, of Scotch-Irish ancestry. Her grandfather, Charles Stevenson, came to this country after the Irish Rebellion of '98, purchasing large tracts of land in Ohio and Illinois. Her grandmother was Sarah Hackett of Philadelphia. She took her degree from the Woman's Med- ical College of the Northwestern Univer- sity and in 1874 went to Europe for two years' study and was fortunate in hav- ing a biological training under Huxley and Darwin, fitting her to fill the chair of physiology in the Woman's Med- ical College to which she was later ap- pointed. Upon her return to Chicago in 1876, she began to practise. She became a member of the Illinois State Medical Society and was sent as its delegate to the Annual Meeting of the American Medical Association held in Philadelphia in 1876; to the association, which five years before had laid on the table, without a vote, the hotly discussed motion of admitting women as members.
She was the first woman to serve on the staff of the Cook County Hospital, and was admitted to the International Society of Obstetricians and Gynecologists at Brussels, became vice-president of the Pan-American Congress at Washington, was a member of the Chicago Medical and Chicago Medico-surgical Societies, was president of the National Temper- ance Hospital; a consultant of the Woman's Hcspital, of Bellevue Hospital, and professor of obstetrics at the Woman's Medical College of Northw^estern Uni- versity. She was instrumental in estab- lishing the Maternity Hospital, the Illi- nois Training School for Nurses and the Home for Incurables.
Dr. Stevenson w^as the author of a "Text-book on Biology," for beginners