In 1871 he founded the first medical publication in the Northwest, "The Northwestern Medical and Surgical Jour- nal," of which he was editor and proprie- tor, and to which he was a large contrib- utor. After a career of three or four years this rather pretentious publication was, for some reason, discontinued. He did not again enter the field of medical journalism until 1886 when he became editor and proprietor of "The North- western Lancet," which continued under his guidance and management until 1901.
He loved to teach, and was a fluent speaker, mth ability to impart knowledge in an interesting and impressive manner. He was the pioneer of medical teaching in the Northwest, having organized the St. Paul Medical School, preparatory, in 1871. It was intended by this prelimi- nary course, merely to supplement the instruction given by preceptors in those days. The success of this undertaking led to the estabhshment of the St. Paul Medical College in 1879 where a full course of medicine was offered. From this time on he was identified with prac- tically every venture in medical teaching in the Twin Cities up to the establish- ment of the College of Medicine of the University in 1888. In this school he ably filled the chair of diseases of women from its organization to the time of his death, on July 16, 1910.
He served as president of the State Medical Association, the Association of Medical Editors, the Association of MiHtary Surgeons, and as vice-president of the American Medical Association. In 1887 the Iowa State University conferred upon him her LL. D. At the time of his death he was surgeon-general of the State of Minnesota, and with dignity filled that position.
He was also much interested in matters of public health. In 1895 he was appointed Commissioner of Health of the city of St. Paul, and under his adminis- tration v/as estabHshed and organized the public bacteriological laboratory.
J. L. R. St. Paul Med. Jour., vol. xii, 1910.
Stone, Robert King (1822-1872).
Robert King Stone was born in 1822, in Washington, District of Columbia. His ancestors were among the earlier settlers of Washington; both contributing to its progress and prominently identified with its estabhshment and prosperity. At an early age he entered Princeton Col- lege and ranked among its brightest scholars. After receiving his A. B. he returned to Washington, and worked under Dr. Thomas Miller. Dr. Miller selected Stone as his assistant in the dissecting room, considering liim a close and minute dissector, good in anatomical studies and especially in minute anatomy. After attending a course of lectures in the National Medical College, District of Columbia, Stone went to the University of Pennsylvania, v/here he took his M. D., in 1849 that of the University of Louis- ville and in 1851 the University of New York. Soon afterwards he went to Europe and walked the hospitals of London, Edinburgh, Vienna and Paris, paying particular attention to ophthal- mic surgery and ear diseases. He was the private pupil of the celebrated Desmarres, assisting him in operations. At the same time he did not neglect his favorite studies of comparative anatomy and operative surgery.
Returning to Washington in 1847 he began general practice and became assist- ant to the chair of anatomy in the National Medical College and was in 1848 appointed adjunct professor of the chair of anatomy and physiology, and afterwards professor of anatomy, physi- ology and microscopic anatomy. A ready and fluent lecturer, he always illustrated his lectures by the most beautiful drawings and diagrams made by himself. Having a decided prefer- ence for ophthalmic and aural surgery, he was appointed to that chair, earning enduring laurels in the position, but he was thrown from his carriage and his thigh was fractured. He never after- wards engaged in active practice. Re- signing his position in the college, he devoted himself to private patients