natives and inhabitants of West Chester, Pennsylvania, his great-grand parents having been born there in 1750. The family were Quakers. Dr. Wood's father was a farmer in very moderate cir- cumstances, so that the boy's early edu- cation was an exceedingly limited one; he seems, however, to have obtained through his own exertions, good school- ing. In 1835 he began to study medicine with Dr. W. S. Bates, of Smithfield.
In June, 1838, he went to Philadelphia, preparatory to entering the University of Penns3lvania. His letters home show that in this he suffered many priva- tions, and the answers indicate many doubts as to the wisdom of the under- taking, but the lad went steadily on his way. In April, 1839, he received his diploma, and immediately an appoint- ment in the Friends' Asylum for the Insane, near Philadelphia. There he remained three years. In 1842, he re- turned to Smithfield, and began practice, but in 1844 went to Europe and on his return in 1845, went to Cincinnati, and began a career which certainly justified all his former privations and longings. The Ohio College of Dental Surgery was chartered January 21, 1845, but did not begin operations until November, 1846. Dr. Wood was professor of anatomj' and phj'siology there, which position he held for a number of years.
Among his appointments he was de- monstrator of anatomy in the Medical College of Ohio, 1853; professor of anat- omy; professor of surgical anatomy; editor and owner of the "Western Lan- cet," in connection with Dr. L. M. Lawson, from 1853 to 1857; on the staff of the Commercial (now Cincinnati) Hospital from August 15, 1861, to March 15, 1867; and again in 1870 and 1871, a member of the Academy of Medicine of Cincinnati.
Dr. Wood was a versatile genius; in 1839, before he graduated in medicine, he invented an instrument designed to facilitate the calculation of areas, which received the highest praise from a com- mittee appointed by the Franklin Insti-
tute of Philadelphia. It was called the "arealite."
At the same time he presented to the same body a fountain pen, which was likewise highly commended.
Subsecjuently he invented an instru- ment for determining the length of lines, and to find the horizontal of a line when it ascends or descends a hill. This was called "The Lineal Mensurator;" a patent was granted July 22, 1839.
In an old scrap-book of the doctor's is a drawing of a balloon which could be driven in any direction.
For many years the doctor kept a scrap-book, in which are found a great number of poems, some of considerable merit, none of which were ever published.
Dr. Wood married, March 14, 1843, Emily A. Miller, at Mount Pleasant, Jefferson County, Ohio, and had two children, Edwin Miller, born January 30, 1844, who became a doctor. A second son, Samuel S., died in infancy. In 1855 he again married, this time to Elizabeth J. Reiff, of Philadelphia, and had six children. Charles Reiff Wood, born May 9, 1857, became a doctor, but died in 1891. Mrs. Wood died July 27, 1871, and Dr. Wood, undaunted, made a third venture with Carrie C. Pels, of Cincinnati, on July 27, 1876, but had no children.
Dr. Wood died November 21, 1880, in Cincinnati, from blood-poisoning ac- quired while treating some of the injured in a railroad collision, October 20, 1880.
A. G. D.
Cincinnati Lancet and Clinic, 1880, n. 3., vol. V.
Wood, William (1810-1899).
Destined to be known as a scientific, thorough and deliberate man, of the highest character in medicine, this physician was born in Scarboro, Maine, October 2, 1810, the son of William and Susan Simonton Wood. The young boy received his first instruction at the hands of the mother of the well-known John Neal, of Portland, and after passing beyond her skill in teaching, attended the public schools. Being unusually