Johnville, Carleton County, was established by him, and grew into a flourishing colony under his encourage- ment. In the summer of 1S99 he appUed to Rome for a coadjutor, and Rev. Timothy Casey, pastor of St. Dunstan's Church, Fredericton, was appointed. In Jan.. 1901, Bishop Sweeny retired to St. Patrick's In- dustrial School, Silver Falls.
Bishop Casey, the present incumbent (b. at Flume Ridge, Charlotte County, New Brunswick, 1862), received his early education in the pubhc schools of St. Stephen, New Brunswick, and afterwards studied at St. Joseph's College, Memramcook, and at Laval University, Quebec; he was ordained priest 29 June, 1886. His consecration as titular Bishop of Utina and coadjutor to Bishop Sweenv took place in the cathedral at St. John, 11 Feb., 1900. Since the be- ginning of Bishop Casey's administration, a new school has been erected in the city; and fifteen new churches, in diflferent parishes, have been dedicated.
There are two religious orders of men in the diocese: the Redemptorists, who arrived in July, 1884, and who are in charge of St. Peter's Church in North St. John; and the Fathers of the Holy Cross at Memram- cook, who have conducted the University of St. Jo- seph's College since 1864. There are three communi- ties of women: the Sisters of Charity, the Religious of the Good Shepherd, and the Little Sisters of the Holy Family. Diocesan priests number 52; priests of rehgious orders, 25. There are 2 orphan asylums; 2 academies, 1 home for the aged, and 1 college. The Cathohc population is about 58,000.
Ratmond, Glimpses of the Past (St. John, 1905) ; Jesuit Rela- tions (Cleveland, 1896-1901); Campbell, Pioneer Priests of North America (New York, 1909) ; MacMillan, History of the Church in Prince Edward Island (Quebec, 1905); Clement, History of Canada (Toronto, 1897); Hay, A History of New Brunswick (Toronto, 190.3) ; Lawrence, Footprints (St. John, 1883) ; Maguire, The Irish in America (New York, 1868) ; The Freeman, files; Plessis, Journal de la Mission de ISll et de 1812; Idem, Journal de la Mission de 1815; Le Foyer Canadien (Que- bec, May-Nov., 1865); La Semaine Religieuse (Quebec, March, April, May, 1904) ; Chouinard, Histoire de la Paroisse de Saint- Joseph de Carleton, Baie des Chaleurs (Rimouaki, 1906).
Andrew J. O'Neill.
Saint John of Jerusalem, Knights op. See Military Orders, The.
Saint John's, Archdiocese of (Sancti Joannis Terr.e Nov^), in Newfoundland, erected 1904, with Right Rev. M. F. Howley as archbishop. It has two suffragans. Harbour Grace and St. George's. In 1796 the Island of Newfoundland was made a vicariate Apostolic, with Rev. James Louis O'Donel, O.S.F., as first vicar Apostolic. Dr. O'Donel re- turned to Ireland in 1807, and was succeeded by Right Rev. Patrick Lambert. O.S.F., from Wex- ford, Ireland. BLshop Lambert ruled until 1817, when he retired to Ireland. Right Rev. Dr. Scal- lan, also a Franciscan and a Wexford man, suc- ceeded him, and held the see until 1829. When Dr. O'Donel was made vicar Apostolic, there were but six priests in the island; Dr. Scallan in- creasfid the number to ten. He was the first bishop who died in the country. In 1829 Right Rev. Dr. Fleming, O.S.F., succeeded to the episcopacy. Dur- ing his administration of twenty-one years, the build- ing of the great cathedral was started, schools and convents were erected, and nuns of the Presentation and Mercy Orders introduced. The fifth bishop was the learned Dr. Mullock, O.S.F., who was appointed coa<^ljutor to Bishop Fleming, and arrived in the covm- try in 1848. He was con.secrated in Rome (1847); and ruled the Church of Newff)undland for nineteen years till 1869. He completed the catherlral, built the episoxjpal palace, the library and cf)llege, also many churchejj, chapels, and convents. He was the originator of thf irlea nf the Atlantic telegraph cable. In 1S.'>0 tlie isl'uid was divided into two fjioceses: St. John's and Harbour Grace. The Diocese of St.
John's comprises the eastern, southern, and western shores of the island. Harbour Grace embraced the north-eastern shore and Labrador. Bishop Mul- lock was succeeded by Right Rev. Bishop Power, previously president of Clonliffe College, Dublin, and canon of the cathedral, a man of high literary attain- ments, also a brilliant pulpit orator. His episcopacy lasted until 1894, being the longest in the annals of the diocese. He completed the Church of St. Patrick, Riverhead, St. John's; and during his episcopacy the Christian Brothers, to whom is due the high state of perfection of the educational system, were intro- duced. The western portion of the island, known as "The French Shore", was separated during his reign from the Diocese of St. John's and made a prefecture Apostolic, afterwards a vicariate Apostolic.
Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, St. John's, Newfoundland
In 1895 Right Rev. Dr. Howley (born in St. John's, 1843), Vicar Apostolic of St. George's, "French Shore", was transferred to the See of St. John's, be- coming the seventh bishop. He undertook extensive repairs on the exterior of the cathedral, and the com- pletion of the interior. During his episcopate, the academy for young ladies at Littledale has been en- larged, the new college built, and many other works have been inaugurated. According to the census of 1901, the Catholic population of the diocese was 45,000. There are 70 churches; 50 chapels; 35 priests; 143 schools; 21 convent schools (the schools all re- ceive aid from the State and full religious liberty is granted); 9953 pupils; 14 convents. The Irish Chris- tian Brothers teach in the public schools, and conduct the College of St. Bonaventure's, which is also afhliated to the London University, the boys' orphanage with over 100 boys, and industrial school of Mount Cashel. The Sisters of Mercy have charge of the Orjjhanage of Bfilvederc with 100 orphan girls, teach in the public scihools, and conduct several academies. The Presentation Sisters also teach in th(! public schools. M. F. Howley.
Saint Joseph, Diocese of (Sancti Jo.sephi), in Missouri. The City of St. Joseph was founded by Joseph Robifloux, a Catholic, who in 1830 became sole i)roprietor of the trading post at. the mouth of what is now called Roy's Branch, ju.st above the Blacksnake Hills. In 1838 an itinerant Jesuit visited the obscure trading po.st at this place and said Mass in the rude log house of Ilobidoux. In 1840 Rev.