Open main menu

Page:Catholic Encyclopedia, volume 17.djvu/255

This page needs to be proofread.


ORTMMmS 239 0B088

Crimmins' interest in national and civic affairs themselves to religious life, taking simple vows and

was reco^sed by his appointment as Democratic adopting religious enclosure,

presidential elector on three occasions, as a member Tne mother-house at St. Quentin was in a flour-

of the Special Panama Committee, as Commis- ishing condition at the outbreak of the French

sioner of Parks of New York City from 1883 till Revolution in 1780 when the Sisters were expelled

1888» and as a member of the New York Constitu- and their convent seized and converted into a

tional Convention of 1894. But it was for his seal prison. Sister Hun^onde Duplaquet refusing to

in promoting the welfare of the Church and of leave the convent, hoping thus to prevent its sale,

Catholic charities that he was best known— numer- was locked up in her cell and made a prisoner,

ous colleges, schools, hospitals, homes, and refuges^ After the fall of Robespierre, though the convent

both in America and abroad, being beneficiaries of continued to be a house of detention, Sister Hun^-

his generosity. In recognition of this spirit he was gonde opened a school in her room and gradually

created a Knight Commander of the Order of St. gathered around her some of her former religious

Gregory in 1901 by Leo XIII. He was a trustee of Sisters. In 1837 Mgr. Simoiw, Bishop of Soissons,

the Catholic University of America, and of St. reorganized the institute by obtaining from Mgr. de

Patrick's Cathedral, the Roman Catholic Orphan Bruillard, Bishop of Grenoble, five Sisters from his

Asylum, and the Foimdling Hospital of New York, diocese, who agreed to be affiliated to the Daughters

He was a noted patron of art. His love for America of the Cross. The Society received the final decree

and for the Irish race and tradition was unbounded, of papal approbation from Leo XIII, 12 Jtme, 1899.

and he was one of the most active members of the The first Mother General was Mother Mary

Friendly Sons of St. Patrick, and of the American Henrietta Rimey, the second. Mother Caroline Got,

Irish Historical Society. He is the author of two the third. Mother Marguerite de St. Preux, and

works: "Irish American Historical Miscellany, and the fourth and present Superior General is Mother

St. Patrick's Day — ^Its Celebration in New York H61^ne Afchain who, witn her council, resides at

and other American Places, 1737-1845." La Louvi^re, Belgium. Owing to the laws against

Orislnm, Diocbsb of. See KraftvAeiOB. religious teaching in France a few of the nuns were

seculanzed for a time. Branch houses of the order

Croatia. See Jugoslavia. are at Bar-le-Duc, Soissons, Paris, Ryde, Southsea,

Otookston, DiocESB <»• (Crookbtonibnbis), a^<* Boscombe. An English novitiate has been be-

erected 31 December, 1909. by a division of the ^ »* ^¥, Convent of the Cross, Boscombe, and

diocese of St. Paul (see C. E., XVI-^). It com- it is the mtentipn of the supenor general to make

prises 17,210 sq. miles in the State of Min- further foundations when the number of members

nesota, and is under the administration of its first '^ sufficiently mcreased.

bidiop, Rt. Rev. Timothy Corbett, appointed 9 Cross, Daughters of thb (Li^e, Belgium; cf. C.

April, 1910. Bom in Mendota, Minnesota in 1858, E., XVI-30b).— At the outbreak of the World War,

he studied in France at the lower seminary of as early as 5 August, 1914, the Belgian Congrega-

Meximieux, and was ordained in Boston in 1886 tion of the Daughters of the Cross opened at Liej^e

and served as vicar in Minneapolis, then chancellor a temporary hospital for the wounded soldiers, m

to the Bishop of Duluth and pastor of the cathe- which about 700 were received. In nearly all the

dral, and was consecrated in St. Paul 19 May houses of England a very lar^e number of Belgian

following his appointment. The diocese is dedicated refugees found hospitality until the end of the war.

to the Immaculate Conception; the Benedictine Four Daughters of the Cross met with tragic

Fathers, Sisters of St. Benedict, Sisters of St. Joseph, deaths while on their way to the Indian Missions

and Sisters of St. Francis are established here. Out on board the "Persia," which was torpedoed near the

of a total population of 27,621 this territory counts Island of Crete, 30 December, 1915. The congre-

24,103 Catholic whites and 3,618 Catholic Indians, gation now has a Cardinal Protector, granted to

The 1921 statistics credit the diocese with 41 secular them by Pope Pius X. The present and sixth

and 13 regular clergy, 44 parishes, 35 missions, 20 Superior General is Mother Marie-Victorine, elected

mission stations. 2 academies for girls with 110 g April, 1920, to succeed Mother Marie-Augustine,

pupils, 8 parochial schools with 1,358 pupils, 2 ^£o had governed the congregation for twenty

Indian Industrial Schools with 244 pupils, a total years. The late Provincial of the English Prov-

of 1,602 children under Catholic care, and 3 hospitals, ince. Sister M. Th6ophile, died 26 June, 1921. New

OroBS, Daughters op the (La Louvifere, Belgium; foundations of the order are: a dispensagf at

cf. C. E., XVI-31a), a French institute first es- Kindu, Belgian Congo (1911); hospital for Euro-

tablished in 1625 at Roy, Picardy, by Fr. Gu^rin, Peans and nativ^, orphanage, and dispen^ty at

Pran^oise Wallet, and Marie Samier, to provide for Lubunda, North Kabanga, Belgian Congo (1912) ;

the Christian education of girls. Charlotte and Institution of St. Michael, for feeble-minded chil-

Anne de Lancy jointed the good work, and Fran- dren, at Spa, Belgium (1912); sanatoriuni f or con-

coise Wallet was named "First Sister." They were sumptives at Haslemere, Surrey, England (m7) ;

not bound by rows, and became known as Daugh- school for yoimg ladies at Waltham-Croes, Herts,

ters of the Cross, meeting many misfortunes. In England (1919); Central ScHool at JaiTow,Northum-

1639 the capture of Roy by the Spaniards com- berland, England (1919) ; Donaghmore House,

peUed the Sisters to seek refuge in Paris, where Tyrone, Lreland (1920), where a hospital will be

they were received by Madame de ViUeneuve, and opened. The present number of foundations is 86,

several foundations were started. St. Vincent de and the number of members is 1,610. The religious

Paul gave them every encouragement to overcome have under their care: 77 schools with 14,152 chil-

all obstacles. Later on, two branches of the insti- dren, 18 orphanages with 1,667 orphans, 2 foundling-

tute were established, when Mme. de Villeneuve homes, 7 homes for preservation with 1,301 refugee

introduced certain innovations which were accepted firis.. 1} homes for the aged with 325 inmates, 11

by some of the members, while the others adhered hospitals with 6,042 patients, 5 sanatonums, 6 semi-

to their original purpose and under Fr. Gu6rin re- nanes, 3 homes for epileptics with 631 inmates, 1

turned to the cradle of the institute. The Bishop prison.

of Noyon, Mgr. de Rochebonne, in 1728 drew up Cross, Dauqhtbrs of the (Shreveport, Loui-

the Constitutions of the community who pledged siana. — ^The main object of this institution,

16