Strep. Not yet, not yet, till I wrap this around me, lest I be wet through. To think of my having come from home without even a cap, unlucky man!
Soc. Come then, ye highly honoured Clouds, for a display to this man. Whether ye are sitting upon the sacred snow-covered summits of Olympus, or in the gardens of father Ocean form a sacred dance with the Nymphs, or draw in golden pitchers the streams of the waters of the Nile, or inhabit the Mæotic lake, or the snowy rock of Mimas, hearken to our prayer, and receive the sacrifice, and be propitious to the sacred rites. [The following song is heard at a distance, accompanied by loud claps of thunder.]
Cho. Eternal Clouds! let us arise to view with our dewy, dear-bright nature, from loud-sounding father Ocean to the wood-crowned summits of the lofty mountains, in order that we may behold clearly the far-seen watch-towers, and the fruits, and the fostering sacred earth, and the rushing sounds of the divine rivers, and the roaring, loud-sounding sea; for the unwearied eye of Æther sparkles with glittering rays. Come, let us shake off the watery cloud from our immortal forms and survey the earth with far-seeing eye.
Soc. O ye greatly venerable Clouds, ye have clearly heard me when I called. [Turning to Strepsiades.] Did you hear the voice, and the thunder which bellowed at the same time, feared as a god?
Strep. I too worship you, O ye highly-honoured, and am
- Cf. vs. 813. Aves, 5. Ran. 741. Vesp. 835. Eun. Alc. 842. Med. 1051. See Valckn. Adon. p. 384, C. Herm. Vig. n. 19, 159. Krüger, Gr. Gr. § 55, 1, obs. 6. Bernhardy, W. S. pp. 855, 358. Monk, Alc. 848.
- "Gewährt den Genuss ihm eueres Anblicks." Droysen.
- "Or in the azure vales
Of your own father Ocean sporting weave
Your misty dance, or dip your golden urns
In the seven mouths of Nile." Cumberland.
- "Mimas is a mountain in Thrace, mentioned also by Homer." Dindorf.
- Cf. Equit. 759, 823, 1188. Lys. 1142. Krüger, Gr. Gr. § 59, 2, obs. 3, and index to Krüger's Thucydides, voc. καί.
- "And I too am your Cloudships' most obedient.
And under sufferance trump against your thunder." Cumberland.