lasting two years, Perkins was appointed chief engineer of the Central Provinces, was transferred in the same capacity in April 1886 to the Punjab, and on 10 March 1887 was promoted major-general. In May 1889 he vacated his appointment in the military works department on attaining the age of fifty-five years, and in 1890 was selected by Lord Roberts, then commander-in-chief in India, to command the Oudh division; but this command was cut short by his promotion to lieutenant-general on 1 April 1891, and he returned to England. Promoted to be general on 1 April 1895, and made a colonel commandant of his corps on the same date, he was two years later created K.C.B. He died in London on 22 Dec. 1901, and was buried at Brookwood cemetery. Lord Roberts wrote of him with admiring affection, crediting him with 'quick perception, unflagging energy, sound judgment, tenacity of purpose and indomitable pluck.' Perkins figures in de Langé's picture of the march to Kandahar.
He married in 1863 Janette Wilhelmina (who survived him), daughter of Werner Cathray, formerly 13th light dragoons, by whom he left two sons—Major Arthur Ernest John Perkins, R.A., and Major Æneas Charles Perkins, 40th Pathans, and three daughters, two of whom are married.
[Royal Engineers' Records; obituary notice, The Times, 23 Dec. 1901; memoir in Royal Engineers' Journal, June 1903, by Field-marshal Earl Roberts; private information.]
PEROWNE, EDWARD HENRY (1826–1906), Master of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, younger brother of John James Stewart Perowne [q. v. Suppl. II], was born at Burdwan, Bengal, on 8 Jan. 1826. After private education he was admitted pensioner of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, in 1846 and scholar in 1847; he was Person prizeman in 1848, members' prizeman in 1849 and 1852, and senior classic in 1850. He graduated B.A. in 1850, proceeding M.A. in 1853, B.D. in 1860, D.D. in 1863. He was admitted ad eundem (M.A.) at Oxford in 1857. Ordained deacon in 1850 and priest in 1851, he was curate of Maddermarket, Norfolk (1850–1). Elected fellow and tutor of Corpus in 1858, he became Master in 1879. He was Whitehall preacher (1864–6); Hulsean lecturer in 1866, examining chaplain to the bishop of St. Asaph (1874-88); prebendary of St. Asaph (1877–90); vice-chancellor of Cambridge University (1879–81); hon. chaplain to Queen Victoria (1898-1900), and chaplain-in-ordinary (1900-1), examining chaplain to the bishop of Worcester (1891-1901). Devoted to his college and university, a sound disciplinarian, a man of many friendships and wide interests, Perowne refused high preferment and was long one of the most conspicuous figures in the academic and social life of Cambridge. He was a strong evangelical, and in politics a somewhat rigid conservative. He died unmarried at Cambridge, after a long illness, on 5 Feb. 1906, and was buried at Grantchester. A portrait of Perowne, painted in 1885 by Rudolf Lehmann, is at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge.
His principal works were:
- 'The Christian's Daily Life, a Life of Faith,' 1860.
- 'Corporate Responsibility,' 1862.
- 'Counsel to Undergraduates on entering the University,' 1863.
- 'The God-head of Jesus,' 1867.
- 'Commentary on Galatians' (’Cambridge Bible for Schools'), 1890.
- 'Savonarola,' 1900.
[The Times, 6 Feb. 1906; Guardian, 7 Feb. 1906; Record; 9 Feb. 1906; Cambridge Review, 15 Feb. 1906 (by C. W. Moule); Crockford's Clerical Directory; Cambridge Univ. Calendar; of. Charles Whibley's In Cap and Gown (1889), p. 326.]
PEROWNE, JOHN JAMES STEWART (1823–1904), bishop of Worcester, born at Burdwan, Bengal, on 13 March 1823, was eldest of three sons of the Rev. John Perowne, a missionary of the Church Missionary Society, by his wife, Eliza Scott of Heacham, Norfolk. His brothers were Edward Henry Perowne [q.v. Suppl. II] and Thomas Thomason Perowne, archdeacon of Norwich from 1898 to 1910. The family is of Huguenot origin. From Norwich grammar school Perowne won a scholarship at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. He was Bell University scholar in 1842; members' prizeman in 1844, 1846, and 1847; Crosse scholar in 1845; Tyrwhitt scholar in 1848. He graduated B.A. in 1845, proceeding M.A. in 1848, B.D. in 1856, and D.D. in 1873. In 1845 be became assistant master at Cheam school; was ordained deacon in 1847 and priest in 1848; and served the curacy of Tunstead, Norfolk, 1847–9. In 1849 he became a master at King Edward's school, Birmingham; but in 1851 was elected to a fellowship at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. For a time he served his college as assistant tutor, whilst also lecturing at King's College, London, and acting as assistant preacher at Lincoln's Inn. He examined for the classical tripos in 1851 and 1852, and was select preacher in 1853, an office he also filled in 1861, 1873, 1876, 1879, 1882, and 1897.