Open main menu

Page:Dictionary of National Biography volume 07.djvu/242

This page has been proofread, but needs to be validated.
Bull
Bull
236

me in these my later times, & many Straytes.' Cotton Mather also prints some of Bulkley's Latin verses, but they do not give us any favourable idea of his classical attainments.

[W. Allen's American Biog. Dict., 3rd edit., pp. 159-60; S. F. Drake's Dict. of American Biography, pp. 139-40; Brook's Lives of the Puritans, iii. 318-19; Neal's Hist. of the Puritans (1822), ii. 239.]

G. G.

BULL, DANIEL (fl. 1657–1681), silenced minister, was elected pastor of Stoke Newington on 27 Sept. 1657 (William Heath, the rector, was under sequestration) in the room of Thomas Manton, afterwards D.D. Cromwell confirmed the appointment on 25 Nov. At the Restoration Heath was reinstated in the living, but Bull did not leave Newington, and continued to preach there till the Uniformity Act, 1662. It puzzles Palmer that in the London collection of farewell sermons he is described as of Newington Green. This probably means that he left the rectory to reside on the green, but was still allowed to lecture at the parish church after Heath had resumed possession. Perhaps he acted as Heath's curate ; in any case he is more properly described as silenced than as ejected. Bull was probably the founder of the presbyterian congregation at Newington Green. We find him as colleague with John Howe as pastor of the presbyterian congregation at Silver Street. Here he fell into some immorality, of which we have no particulars, but it was sufficiently grave to extinguish his career. Howe's sermon, 'A Discourse of Charity in reference to other Men's Sins' (1 Cor. xiii. 6), appended to his 'Thoughtfulness for the Morrow,' 1681, 8vo, was called forth by this painful case, which Calamy speaks of as a 'single instance' among the nonconformists of 1662. Bull was probably living at the date (1702) of Calamy's first edition. In the second edition is a note by Samuel Stancliff, formerly minister at Rotherhithe, who strongly affirms Bull's penitence. His two sermons are in 'Farewell Sermons by London Ministers, &c.,' 1663, 8vo (John xiv. 16, and Acts xx. 32).

[Walker's Sufferings of the Clergy, 1714, pt. ii. p. 171; Calamy's Abridgment, 1702, p. 281; Account, 1713, p. 471 ; Palmer's Nonconf. Memorial, 1802, ii. 458 sq., 467.]

A. G.

BULL, GEORGE (1634–1710), bishop of St. David's, belonged to an old Somersetshire family, and was born, 25 March 1634, in the parish of St. Cuthbert, Wells. His father dedicated him to the Christian ministry at the font, but he was not aware of this until he had been ordained. He was educated first in the grammar school at Wells, and then in the free school at Tiverton under Mr. Samuel Butler, a noted scholar in his day. Before he was fourteen years old he went into residence at Exeter College, Oxford. He does not appear to have been very diligent at the university, though he won the regard of two eminent men there Dr. Conant, rector of the college, and Bishop Prideaux. He also became during his undergraduate days an intimate friend of Mr. Clifford, afterwards the lord high treasurer of England. In 1649, while yet a lad of fifteen, he refused to take the 'engagement,' following the example of his tutor, Mr. Ackland. The tutor and pupil left the university together, and settled at North Cadbury in Somersetshire, and Bull was more industrious here than at the university. He was also here brought more closely under the influence of an excellent sister. He was next persuaded to place himself under the guidance of a Mr. William Thomas, rector of Ubley, a puritan divine. Bull, however, was not so much influenced by Mr. William Thomas as by his son, Mr. Samuel Thomas, who took the opposite views to those of his father, and directed Bull to read such divines as Hooker, Hammond, and Jeremy Taylor. On leaving Mr. Thomas, Bull applied to Dr. Skinner, the ejected bishop of Oxford, for episcopal ordination, and was ordained by him deacon and priest the same day, when he was only twenty-one years of age. After his ordination he took the small living of St. George's, near Bristol, from which, as its value was only 30l. a year, it was not thought worth while to eject him. Here he was very diligent in his parish work, and spent more than the value of the living upon the poor. He had some little trouble with the quakers, but won the esteem of the great majority of his parishioners. Bull, like Sanderson and others, used the church prayers, which he knew by heart, without the book. He used to spend two months every year at Oxford for the purpose of consulting the libraries there, and on his way to and from the university he always visited Sir William Master of Cirencester. On those occasions he was wont to help the incumbent, Mr. Alexander Gregory, whose daughter Bridget he married on Ascension day, 1658. In the same year he was presented to the rectory of Suddington St. Mary's, near Cirencester, through the influence of Lady Pool, the lady of the manor. In 1659 the rectory at Suddington became one of the many places of meeting at which the friends of the exiled dynasty assembled to concert measures for the restoration of King Charles. Bull was accustomed to assist his father-in-law in the church services at