Open main menu

Page:Dictionary of National Biography volume 07.djvu/313

This page has been proofread, but needs to be validated.

he left his collection to Mr. E. A. Brande, who in 1809 presented it to the College of Physicians. It has since been considerably increased by gifts and purchases.

[Munk's Coll. of Phys, ii. 307, from a manuscript momoir of Dr. Burges, by E. A. Brande, in the College Library.]

BURGES, MARY ANNE (1783–1813), authoress, the youngest daughter of George Burges, comptroller-general of the customs. Scotland, by his wife, the Hon. Anne Whichnoar Somerville, was born at Edinburgh, 6 Dec 1783. She was a lady of excellent virtues, and her accomplishments included Greek, Latin, French, Italian, Spanish, with some Swedish and German (Introd. to Good Intent, 10th ed. p. iv). In geology she had especial delight, and being a friend of De Luc's, she took a large share in his last publication. In botany she was proficient, and she also prepared an exhaustive account of the British Lepidoptera (which does not seem to have been printed), illustraiing it with her own hand. In music she was as skilful in composition as in education, and yet she did not neglect domestic duties. In 1800 she brought out anonymously the book by which she is known, 'The Progress of the Pilgrim Good Intent,' which is in effect a continuation of the 'Pilgrim's Progress,' Good Intent being the great-grandson of Christian's eldest son. Miss Burges in her preface asks John Bunyan to look with paternal regard upon the labours of his descendant. It went through three editions in 1800, four more in 1801, with three in Dublin and two Charlestown (America) in the same year, and it had a third American issue, from Salem in 1802. Shortly after publishing this book Miss Burges, who was living at her own house, Ashfield, near Honiton (Introd. p. where she enjoyed an easy income (ib, p. vi.) was afflicted with much ill-health, She died on 10 Aug. 1813, aged 49 (ib. p. iv), and was buried at Awliscombe. After her death her brother, Sir James Bland Lamb [q. v.] [see Burges, Sir James Bland], brought out new edition of her 'Good Intent,' disclosing the authorship, and there was a tenth edition in 1832. He was one of her brother's regular correspondents.

[Introd. to Good Intent, 10th ed. 1822. pp. iv-vii, Preface, p. xii ; private information ; Hutton's Bland Burges Papers 188-]

J. H.

BURGES, WILLIAM (1827–1881), architect, was born on 2 Dec. 1837, and was the son of William Burges, civil engineer. He matriculated at University College, London, and attended lectures on engineering at King's College, London; but his decided taste for architecture led to his entering at the age of seventeen, the office of Edward Blore, the architect [q. v.], and in 1849 the office of Digby Wyatt. About this period a great impetus had been given to the study of medieval architecture, and to this subject Burges applied himself with the greatest enthusiasm. He visited Normandy, and subequently Belgium, Germany, France, and Italy, making numerous drawings and measurements of buildings, &c. In 1856 Burges gained the first award in the international competition for Lille Cathedral, and about this time the works of decoration at the Salisbury chapter-house were planned and carried out chiefly by him. In 1850 he designed the cathedral of Brisbane (Queensland), and rebuilt the east end of Waltham Abbey Church. In 1863 he prepared his designs for the cathedral at Cork, the most important ecclesiastical building which he ever carried out. Three years later he was employed by the Marquis of Bute on the restoration and, practically, the rebuilding of Cardiff Castle. About the year 1875 he began his restoration of Castle Coch, a medieval ruin near Cardiff. Burges was also engaged in the alteration and adornment of Worcester College Chapel, Oxford, and was the architect of the college of Hartford, Connecticut, of Ripon grammar school, of the Speech Room at Harrow School, and of other buildings. He prepared remarkable designs for the New Law Courts in the Strand, and for the decoration of St. Paul's Cathedral, which were not, however, officially accepted. Besides these works he designed a great quantity of jewellery, furniture, and other objects which were executed under his immediate superintendence. Burges had a strong preference for French gothic, and possessed a very considerable antiquarian Knowledge. The designs made by him for original buildings were characterised, as has been well remarked, 'by force and massiveness of general style and composition, combined with great pictnresqueness of detail.' Although he had not the extensive practice of several architects contemporary with him, his work was always distinguished by its originality, and bore the distinct impress of his own personal thought and taste.

Burges was a fellow of the Royal Institution of British Architects, and was elected a few months before his death an associate of the Royal Academy. He wrote several papers on architectural subjects, sud published in 1870 volume of his architectural drawings. His death took place at his house in Melbury Road, London, on 20 April 1881. He bequeathed to the British Museum a selection