Accessories of Monumental Sculpture' (Sessional Paper, Brit. Architects, 1861). This paper received the full approbation of Professor Donaldson. Cockerell's first independent professional works were executed in 1858-9. They consisted of a cemetery chapel and some buildings at Ledbury. His earliest success was in raising and making additions to Coleorton Hall, the seat of Sir George Beaumont. This was soon followed by the planning and erecting of Down Hall, Essex; Lythe Hill, Haslemere, Surrey; and Crayley Court, near Winchester. He also erected the Carlisle memorial column at Castle Howard (Builder, 1870, p. 347), and another column in Sir R. Bateson Harvey's park at Langley. This column is noted for its correctness of dimensions and beauty of design. Among his London buildings should be mentioned the Freemasons' Hall (1861) in Great Queen Street (ib. 1866, p. 613). He became a member of the Grand Lodge, and was appointed to the high office of grand superintendent of works. He also designed the front and entrance to the Gallery of the Society of Painters in Water-Colours, Pall Mall East (ib. 1875, p. 371). Cockerell died suddenly, in Paris, on 4 Nov. 1878, on which day he had been invited to a dinner party at the house of M. Viollet le Duc, the architect. He left a widow and six children, at the time residing at 18 Manchester Square, London. Cockerell was a trustee of Sir John Soane's Museum, and a short time before his death was chosen assessor for the Spa buildings belonging to the Scarborough Cliff Bridge Company. He exhibited at the Royal Academy twenty-four works between 1854 and 1877, and was elected an associate of the Royal Institute of British Architects in 1860, a fellow on 30 May 1864, and honorary secretary in 1871. The following list contains some of the principal buildings erected by him in different parts of the country: Ballards, Croydon; Foxholes, Christchurch, Hampshire; Woodcote Hall, Newport, Shropshire; Clonalis, Roscommon, Ireland; Burgate, Godalming, Surrey; Kidbrooke Park, East Grinstead; Condover Hall, Shrewsbury; St. John's Church, Hampstead; Little Holland House, Kensington; the schools at Highgate a Gothic design; church at Marske, Yorkshire; a highly decorated house, 1 South Audley Street, completed from his designs by G. Aitchison, A.R.A. Cockerell's competition designs for the alterations to the National Gallery were commended and much admired, and that for the Albert Memorial was selected by the judges, but the queen preferred a Gothic design, and that of Sir G. G. Scott was finally accepted. He was equally familiar both with Gothic and classic architecture, as his erected works testify.
[Builder, 1878, 16 Nov. p. 1194, 23 Nov. p. 1230, 20 Dec. p. 1393, and 27 Dec. p. 1433.]
COCKERELL, SAMUEL PEPYS (1754–1827), architect, was son of John Cockerell of Bishop's Hall, Somersetshire, by Frances Jackson, his wife, and brother of Sir Charles Cockerell, M.P., of Sezincote, Gloucestershire, who was created a baronet in 1809. His mother was daughter of John Jackson, the nephew and heir of Samuel Pepys, and through her Cockerell became the representative, and inherited many interesting relics, of the great diarist. He was a pupil of Sir Robert Taylor, and soon rose to eminence in his profession, gaining an extensive practice towards the end of the century. He held the appointment of surveyor to the East India House, and was district surveyor under the building acts of parliament, besides filling other important professional offices. He first exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1785, sending some designs for ornamental structures in the park of White Knights in Berkshire. He did not exhibit again till 1792, from which year up to 1803 he was a frequent contributor, chiefly of designs for mansions and churches. In 1796-8 he rebuilt the church of St. Martin Outwich, London, his most important work, some of the designs for which he sent to the Royal Academy. This church was pulled down in 1874. He built several large and handsome residences, and was employed in altering many more, among those designed or improved by him being Middleton Hall, Carmarthenshire, Gore Court, near Sittingbourne, Kent, and Nutwell Court, near Exeter. Cockerell lived at the house at the corner of Savile Row and Burlington Street, and latterly at Westbourne Lodge, Paddington, where he died on 12 July 1827, aged 74. He married Ann, daughter and coheiress of John Whetham of St. Ives, by whom he had six sons and five daughters; one of his sons was Charles Robert Cockerell [q. v.], a far more distinguished architect than his father. Sir William Beechey painted a half-length portrait of Cockerell, which was engraved in mezzotint by Hodgetts, and published on 9 Aug. 1834. There is also a profile by George Dance, engraved by Daniell.
[Redgrave's Dict. of Artists; Graves's Dict. of Artists, 1760-1880; Diary and Correspondence of Samuel Pepys, ed. Bright, Appendix; Builder, 26 Sept. 1863; Evans's Cat. of Portraits; Catalogues of the Royal Academy.]