Cline succeeded him in the surgeoncy of St. Thomas's. After a residence of some years in St. Mary Axe, he removed in 1796 to Lincoln's Inn Fields, where he remained during the rest of his life.
In 1796 Cline was elected a member of the court of assistants of the Surgeons' Company; but his election having taken place at a meeting when neither of the two governors was present (one having just died), was found to have voided the act of incorporation. After failure of a bill to legalise the surgeons' proceedings, in 1800 they were incorporated by charter as the Royal College of Surgeons, the old municipal privileges being given up.
In 1808 Cline bought some land at Bound's Green in Essex, and visited it regularly, becoming greatly interested in agriculture, and losing much time and money in its pursuit, according to Sir Astley Cooper, his pupil. When he was sixty years old his practice brought him about 10,000l. per annum; but it was Cooper's opinion that, it would have been much more had he not been so fond of politics and farming. In 1810 Cline became an examiner at the College of Surgeons, and in the following year resigned his appointments at St. Thomas's. His pupils subscribed for a bust by Chantrey, which was placed in St. Thomas's Museum. In 1816 he became master of the Collage of Surgeons, and in the following year (also in 1824) delivered the Hunterian oration (never published). In 1823 Cline was president of the college, the title having been changed from that of master in 1821. He died on 2 Jan. 1827.
The 'Gentleman's Magazine' (January 1827, p. 90) says of Cline: 'He was a person who would have distinguished himself whatever had been his situation and calling. His strong intellect, his self-determination, his steady adherence to his purpose, and his consummate prudence would have insured him success in any career of honourable ambition.' He was a cautious, sound, and successful surgeon, an excellent lecturer, but somewhat deficient, according to Cooper, in industry and professional seal. In temper he was mild, equable, and reserved. He had a great personal courage. His family were devoted to him and he to them. Sir Astley characterises him 'as a friend, sincere but not active; as an enemy, most inveterate' (Life of Sir A. Cooper, i. 99), but gives no details under the latter head. Probably this remark was tinctured by Sir Astley's withdrawal from Cline's political associates in order to obtain the Guy's surgeoncy. Cline was a devoted adherent of Horne Tooke, attending him professionally when at the Tower, and afterwards in his last illness. For many years he gave an anniversary dinner to Tooke's friends and supporters at his own house, in commemoration of Tooke's acquittal. He was also a friend of John Thelwall, and showed him great kindness. He was much in favour of the French revolution, and by his influence with leading men in Paris secured Astley Cooper's safety during a three months' residence there in 1792. Cline thought there was a cause superior to man, but believed that nothing was known of the future. 'His character,' says Sir Astley Cooper, 'was that of Washington; he would have devoted himself to what he considered the advantage of his country, and surrendered whatever distinction he might have attained when he had accomplished his object.' Apparently his only publication was a small brochure on the 'Form of Animals,' 4to, 1805; twice reprinted, 1808 and 1829.
Cline was succeeded in the surgeoncy to St.Thomas's and in the lectures upon anatomy and surgery by his son Henry Cline, a man of considerable ability, who died on 27 May 1820 of phthisis (see Memorials of J. F. South, p. 34, &c.)
[Gent. Mag. January 1827, p. 90; B. B. Cooper's Life of Sir Astley Cooper, 1843, references in many places; Felto's Memorials of J. F. South, 1884, pp. 108-208; Thelwall's letter to Cline, on imperfect developments of the faculties, 1810; Life of Thelwall, by his widow, 1837.]
CLINT, ALFRED (1807–1883), marine painter, was the fifth and youngest son by his first marriage of George Clint, A.R.A. [q. v.] He was born in Alfred Place, Bedford Square, London, on 22 March 1807, and acquired the technical knowledge of painting from his father, while he studied from the life at a students' society, which met first in Drury Lane and afterwards in the Savoy. In early life he painted portraits and landscapes, and he exhibited for the first time in 1828 at the British Institution, sending in the folio wins year a 'Study from Nature' to the Royal Academy. In 1831 he began to exhibit at the Society of British Artists, of which he became a member in 1843, and secretary from 1853 to 1859. He succeeded Frederick Yeates Hurlstone as president in 1869 and continued to fill that office until 1881. He is best known as a marine painter, the subjects of his picture being taken chiefly from the English Channel, and especially from Jersey, Guernsey, and the coast of Sussex. They were very popular, and some of them have been engraved. Between 1828 and 1879 he contributed no less than 402 works to the exhibitions of the Royal Academy, British