Open main menu

Page:Dictionary of National Biography volume 28.djvu/187

This page has been validated.
Hughes
Hughes
181

pay monthly visits to Manchester. At Manchester he made the acquaintance of Dr. Adam Clarke [q. v.] In 1832 Hughes became a supernumerary, and retired to Knutsford in Cheshire, where he died 15 May 1843. In 1811 he married Esther, eldest daughter of Edward Clarke of Knutsford, who survived him.

Hughes published, besides smaller works: 1. 'A Plea for Religious Liberty,' 1812. 2. ' Horæ Britannicæ, or Studies in Ancient British History,' 2 vols. London, 1818-19, 8vo; a work highly spoken of by Bishop Burgess and Sharon Turner. 3. 'Theological Essays and Discourses on the Nature and Obligations of Public Worship, &c.,'1818. 4. 'An Essay on the Ancient and Present State of the Welsh Language,' London, 1823, 8vo, for which, as for two other essays, he obtained a medal from the Cambrian society. 5. 'Memoir of Miss Pedmore of Knutsford,' 1836. 6. 'Memoir and Remains of the Rev. Mr. Fussel, Wesleyan Minister,' 1840. He left in manuscript (1) a corrected copy of the 'Horæ Britannicæ,' (2) 'A History of Wales,' and (3) 'Historical Triads, Memorials of Remarkable Persons and Occurrences among the Cymry.' The last, which is an annotated translation from the Welsh, is now in the British Museum. A Welsh translation of his friend Dr. Coke's 'Commentary on the New Testament' was begun by him, but was not completed.

[Williams's Eminent Welshmen, p. 225; Wesleyan Meth. Mag., lxx. i. 209.]

W. A. J. A.


HUGHES, JOHN (1790–1857), author, born 2 Jan. 1790, was the only child of Thomas Hughes, D.D., clerk of the closet to George III and George IV, vicar of Uffington, Berkshire, and canon of St. Paul's Cathedral, by his wife Mary Anne, daughter of the Rev. George Watts, vicar of Uffington. 'Clever, active Mrs. Hughes' was an early friend of Sir Walter Scott, whom she visited with her husband in 1824 (Lockhart, Life of Scott, p. 524, 1 vol. ed., 1845). John Hughes was educated at Westminster School and at Oriel College, Oxford, where he graduated B.A. 1812 and M.A. 1815. He gained the prize for Latin verse, and recited an English ode when Wellington and the united sovereigns visited Oxford in 1814. He was the author of the macaronic Oriel grace-cup song, 'Exultet mater Oriel' (Notes and Queries, 3rd ser. iii. 66). About 1820 Hughes went to live at Uffington, but on the death of his father, thirteen years later, removed to Donnington Priory, Berkshire. He died at Brompton on 13 Dec. 1857. He married, 14 Dec. 1820, Margaret Elizabeth, second daughter of Thomas Wilkinson, esq., of Stokesley Hall, Yorkshire, and had by her a family of six sons and one daughter. An account of the eldest son, George Edward Hughes of Donnington Priory, is given in the 'Memoir of a Brother,' by the second son, Mr. Thomas Hughes, Q.C., judge of county court, who is the well-known author of 'Tom Brown's Schooldays.'

Hughes was a good scholar and linguist, a clever draughtsman and wood-carver (cp. Miss Mitford, Recollections, 1859, chap, xxxvii.) Some forcibly written letters to his sons when boys and young men are printed in the 'Memoir of a Brother.' His chief publications were: 'An Itinerary of Provence and the Rhone made during the year 1819,' with etchings by the author, London, 1822, 8vo, a work praised by Scott in the preface to 'Quentin Durward,' and an edition of 'The Boscobel Tracts,' Edinburgh and London, 1830, 8vo; 2nd edit. Edinburgh and London, 1857, 8vo. He also published 'Lays of Past Days,' 1850, 16mo; an ode recited in the Theatre, Oxford, 1814; and 'Pompeii' (an ode) [1820?], 4to. 'Views in the South of France … engraved by William Bernard Cooke [q. v.], &c.,'1825, fol., contained illustrations from sketches made by Hughes.

[Gent. Mag. 1858, 3rd ser. iv. 225; Hughes's Memoir of a Brother; Miss Mitford's Recollections; Burke's Landed Gentry, 1868, s.v. 'Hughes of Donnington Priory;' Brit. Mus. Cat.]

W. W.


HUGHES, JOHN (1787–1860), archdeacon of Cardigan, son and heir of John Hughes, esq., of Llwyn Glas, Llanfihangel Geneu'r Glyn, near Aberystwyth, was born in 1787. After attending the grammar school of Ystradmeurig, he became classical master at a large school at Putney, London, where he remained about eighteen months. As a lad he aspired to become a preacher. Returning to Wales he was ordained by the Bishop of St. Asaph in 1811. He was curate first for six years at Llandrillo yn Rhôs, near Conway, and afterwards at Foleshill, near Coventry. At Foleshill he became very popular; but when the vicar died, in 1822, Lord-chancellor Eldon refused the petition of the parishioners to bestow the living on him. Hughes therefore left, and settled at Tiddington, near Oxford. Here again his fame as a preacher soon filled the church, and students from Oxford were often among his hearers. He became in 1837 vicar of Aberystwyth and curate of Llanbadarn Fawr. In 1834 the living of the mother church of Llanbadarn was conferred on him, with a prebendal stall in the collegiate church of Brecon, and in 1859 Bishop Thirlwall gave