Humphrey's portrait, from a drawing by Baron Imhoff. Humphrey, according to a trade-card engraved for him by Bartolozzi, was residing in 1785 at 227 Strand. He died probably about 1810, and apparently in pecuniary difficulties.
[Dodd's manuscript Hist. of English Engravers (Brit. Mus. Add. MS. 33402); J. Chaloner Smith's Brit. Mezzotint Portraits; Caulfield's Calcographiana.]
HUMPHREYS, DAVID (1689–1740), divine, son of Thomas Humphreys, citizen and leatherseller of London, was born on 20 Jan. 1689, and educated at the Merchant Taylors' School after 1701, and at Christ's Hospital from 1704 till 1707. On 12 Sept. 1707 he was elected to a school exhibition, and was admitted a subsizar of Trinity College, Cambridge, 5 March 1707-8. He became scholar in 1709 and graduated B.A. in 1711, proceeding M.A. 1715, B.D. 1725, and D.D. by royal mandate in 1728. In the struggle with Bentley he ranked as one of the master's friends, and on 8 July 1715 was elected fellow 'provisionally,' the arrangement being that he was to take the place of Miller, Bentley's great opponent, if Miller's fellowship should be subsequently decided by the king to be vacant. The king did nothing in the matter, but a further arrangement was made, 5 Dec. 1719, by which Miller received 400l., in addition to certain other profits, and resigned the fellowship. Humphreys became a major fellow on 2 Jan. 1719-20. In 1716 Humphreys was appointed secretary to the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel, and he held this appointment until his death. On 6 Jan. 1730 he became vicar of Ware, and on 30 June 1732 vicar of Thundridge. His fellowship determined in 1733, and he died in 1740.
- 'The Apologeticks of Athenagoras done into English, with notes,' 1714, 8vo.
- 'Antiquity explained and represented in Sculpture,' a translation from Montfaucon, 1721, fol.
- 'An Historical Account of the Incorporated Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts,' 1730, 8vo; partly reprinted in the `Church Review,' vols. iv. and v.
[Robinson's Register of Merchant Taylors' School, ii. 5; Graduati Cantabr.; Rud's Diary; Christ's Hosp. List of Univ. Exhibitioners, p. 27; Monk's Life of Bentley; Middleton's Full and Impartial Account; Cussans's Hertfordshire, i. 153; Cole's Athen. Cantab. (Brit. Mus. Add. MSS.); E. Hawkins's Missions of the Church of England; information from W. Aldis Wright, esq.]
HUMPHREYS, HENRY NOEL (1810–1879), artist, naturalist, and numismatist, born at Birmingham on 4 Jan. 1810, was the son of James Humphreys of that town. He was educated at King Edward's School, Birmingham, and afterwards resided in Italy. He returned to England about 1840. Humphreys was a successful book-illustrator, especially of works of natural history, such as Westwood's 'British Butterflies.' He was also the author of some popular numismatic handbooks, useful in their day. He died at his house, 7 Westbourne Square, London, on 10 June 1879. The following are his principal productions:
- Illustrations for Westwood's 'British Butterflies,' 1841, 4to.
- Illustrations for Loudon's 'British Wild Flowers' , 4to.
- 'Ocean Gardens,' London, 1857, 8vo.
- 'River Gardens,' London,1857,sq.8vo.
- 'The Butterfly Vivarium,' London, 1858, 8vo.
- 'The Genera and Species of British Butterflies,' London , 8vo.
- 'The Genera of British Moths,' London , 8vo.
- 'The Coins of England,' 1846, 8vo.
- 'The Coinage of the British Empire,' London, 1854, 4to.
- 'The Coin-Collector's Manual,' 2 vols (Bohn's Scientific Library), 1847, &c.
- 'Ancient Coins and Medals' (with facsimiles), London, 1850, 4to.
- 'Illuminated Illustrations of Froissart,' 1844, &c., 4to.
- 'The Illuminated Books of the Middle Ages,' 1844-9, fol. (with Owen Jones).
- 'The Art of Illumination and Missal Painting,'1849,8vo.
- 'The Origin and Progress of Art of Writing,' 1853,4to.
- 'A History of the Art of Printing,' 1867, fol.
- 'Stories by an Archæologist,' 1856, 8vo.
[Obituary by J. O. Westwood in Academy for 21 June 1879, p.550; Times, 16 June 1879, p. 12, col. 4; Athenæum, 21 June 1879, p. 800; Brit. Mus. Cat.]
HUMPHREYS, HUMPHREY, D.D. (1648–1712), bishop successively of Bangor and Hereford, eldest son of Richard Humphreys (a royalist officer who served throughout the civil war), by Margaret, daughter of Robert Wynn of Russailgyfarch, Carnarvonshire, was born at Penrhyn, Clandraeth, Merionethshire, on 24 Nov. 1648. He became a student of Jesus College, Oxford, in 1665, was afterwards elected fellow, and graduated B.A. 19 Oct. 1669, and M.A. 12 Jan. 1672-3. He was appointed chaplain to Dr. Humphrey Lloyd, bishop of Bangor, and became rector of the parishes of Llanfrothen and Trawsfynydd, Merionethshire, and of Llaniestin, Carnarvonshire. On 22 May 1679 he proceeded to the degree of B.D., and on 16 Dec. 1680 he was installed dean of Bangor. On 5 July 1682 he was created D.D. at Oxford, and in 1689 he was appointed bishop of Bangor in succession to Dr. Humphrey Lloyd, and was consecrated on 30 June at Fulham.