60. It is dedicated 'to the right worshipful my singular good uncle, Mr. William Hynd,' and has been reprinted in the 'Harleian Miscellany,' viii. 33. There is in Harl. MS. 375, art. 51, at the British Museum, a letter in Latin from John Hind, 'ex sedibus Lambethanis,' dated 4 Id. Mart. 1644-5.
[Corser's Collectanea Anglo-Poetica; Cooper's Athenæ Cantabr. ii. 446; Bibliotheca Anglo-Poetica, p. 441; J.P. Collier's Catalogue, &c., of the Library at Bridgewater House, p. 1813; W. C. Hazlitt's Handbook, p.276; Bibliotheca Heberiana, viii. No. 1230; J. P. Collier's Poetical Decameron, ii. 120; Brydges's Censura Literaria, vi. 265-8.]
HYNDE, Sir JOHN (d. 1550), judge, was of a family settled at Madingley in Cambridgeshire, and was educated at Cambridge. He was called to the bar at Gray's Inn, and was reader there in 1517, 1527, and 1531. In 1520 he was elected recorder of Cambridge. His name appears frequently in the commission of the peace and commissions to collect subsidies for Cambridgeshire in the middle of the reign of Henry VIII. In 1526 and 1530 he was in the commission of gaol delivery for the town of Cambridge, and in 1529 in the commission to hear chancery causes, and was recommended by the lord chief justice in 1530 as among the best counsel of the day. In 1532 he was in the commission of the peace for Huntingdonshire, and in 1534 in the commission of sewers for the same county. In 1531 he was appointed serjeant-at-law, and on 2 Jan. 1535 was promoted to be king's serjeant. In 1536 he prosecuted the rebels in the west, and during the northern rebellion was one of those appointed to reside in Cambridgeshire, and to be responsible for order there. In December 1540 he received a commission from the privy council to inquire into charges of sedition alleged against Thomas Goodrich [q. v.], bishop of Ely (see Acts Privy Council, vii. 98). An act of parliament, 34–35 Hen. VIII, c. 24, was passed to confirm to him and his heirs the manor of Burlewas or Shyre in Cambridgeshire and lands at Madingley, subject to an annual charge for the payment of the knights of the shire, and in addition to this property it appears, from grants in the augmentation office, that he received portions of the church lands at Girton and Moor Barns, Madingley, Cambridgeshire. On 4 Nov. 1545 he was knighted, was next day appointed a judge of the common pleas, and became a member of the council of the north in 1545. He died in October 1550, and was buried at St. Dunstan's, Fleet Street, London, on 18 Oct.
[Foss's Lives of the Judges; Burnet's Reformation, vol. ii. pt. ii. p. 312; Machyn's Diary, ii. 314; Brewer's and Gairdner's Letters and Papers, Foreign and Domestic, Henry VIII; Cooper's Athenæ Cantabr. vol. i.; Dugdale's Origines; Rymer, xiv. 299, 565; 9th Rep. Dep.-Keeper of Records, App. ii. 228; Nicholas's Proceedings of Privy Council.]
HYSLOP, JAMES (1798–1827), poet, was born at Damhead, parish of Kirkconnel, Dumfriesshire, on 23 July 1798. He was early put out to farm-work, but managed to teach himself English, Latin, French, mathematics, and algebra. From 1812 to 1816 he was engaged as a shepherd on Nether Wellwood farm, in the parish of Muirkirk, and his contributions to the 'Greenock Advertiser' and other newspapers were frequently signed 'The Muirkirk Shepherd.' Between 1816 and 1818 he was employed at Corsebank, whence he wrote a poetical epistle to his early Kirkconnel teacher, signed 'James Hislop.' He afterwards invariably adopted the spelling Hyslop. In 1818 he went to Greenock, where he opened a day-school, and wrote for the 'Edinburgh Magazine.' He was at first fairly successful, but his prospects were blasted by his having to pay a considerable sum for which he had become security to oblige a friend. Leaving Greenock in 1821, he obtained a post as tutor on board his majesty's ship Doris, which was about to proceed to South America. The voyage lasted for three years, and an account of it was given by Hyslop in a series of eleven papers contributed to the 'Edinburgh Magazine,' May-November 1825. He was next engaged as a reporter in London (1826), where he was intimate with Allan Cunningham, Edward Irving, and others; but the work proved too heavy for him, and he again took to teaching, first as superintendent of a charity school, and afterwards as tutor on board his majesty's ship Tweed. The vessel sailed for the Cape of Good Hope in October 1827, and on 4 Nov. Hyslop died of fever off the Cape Verd Islands, in the Atlantic. His body was consigned to the sea with military honours.
Hyslop's claim to recognition rests almost solely on his poem, 'The Cameronian Dream,' From his earliest years, while shepherd at Nether Welhvood, near the scene of the battle where Richard Cameron [q.v.] was killed, Hyslop had been familiar with the story of the Scottish martyrs, whose experiences and surroundings he here describes in stirring language. Among his eighty-two poems, collected in 1887 by Mr. Mearns, `The Scottish Sacramental Sabbath,' `The Scottish National