which Inglis could employ is placed by one estimate as low as 445 bayonets. The casualties in this small force amounted to 145. Inglis had a horse shot under him. The brigade was further engaged in the actions of the following days. On 31 Aug. 1813, the day on which San Sebastian was taken, Inglis's brigade took an active part in the combat of Vera, having been ordered to support the 9th Portuguese brigade in Sir Lowry Cole's division. The fight was a severe one. Inglis again had a horse shot under him. Lord Dalhousie, in referring Wellington for details of the operations to Inglis's report, remarked: ‘The 1st brigade had to sustain the attack of two divisions of the enemy on a strong and wooded hill; the loss there was unavoidable.’ On 10 Nov. the seventh division marched to the embouchure of the Puerto d'Echallar, and Inglis's 1st brigade, after carrying the fortified heights above the village of Suré, received orders from Marshal Beresford to cross the Nivelle by a wooden bridge on the left and attack the heights above. The heights were carried after a severe struggle. On 23 Feb. 1814 the brigade was again engaged with the enemy near the village of Airgavé. On the 27th it had a considerable share in the battle of Orthez. The general's horse was struck.
For these services Inglis, with other general officers, received the thanks of both houses of parliament. In 1825 he became a lieutenant-general. He was created a knight commander of the Bath, appointed lieutenant-governor of Kinsale, and subsequently governor of Cork (January 1829). Finally, on 16 April 1830, he was appointed colonel of the 57th. He died at Ramsgate on 29 Nov. 1835, and was buried in Canterbury Cathedral.
Inglis married in 1822 Margaret Mary Anne, eldest daughter of Lieutenant-general William Raymond of the Lee, Essex, and had two sons, the General William Inglis mentioned above (1823–1888), and Major Raymond Inglis (1826–1880).
[Napier's Peninsular War; Wellington Despatches; United Service Journal, February 1836; Philippart's Royal Mil. Cal.]
INGLOTT, WILLIAM (1554–1621), musician, was born in 1554, and became organist of Norwich Cathedral. He was noted for his skill as a player on the organ and virginals. His name appears as a composer in the manuscript volume (Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge) known as ‘Queen Elizabeth's Virginal Book,’ but none of his works are now known. He died at Norwich in December 1621, and was buried in the cathedral, where a monument was erected to his memory in 1622. About ninety years afterwards the monument, having fallen into disrepair, was restored at the expense of Dr. William Croft [q. v.] An engraving of it as restored may be seen in the ‘Posthumous Works of Sir Thomas Browne,’ 1712, and the eulogistic inscription is printed by Hawkins.
[Hawkins's Hist. of Music, v. 22, 23; Grove's Dict. of Music, ii. 3.]
INGMETHORPE, THOMAS (1562–1638), schoolmaster, born in 1562, was a native of Worcestershire. He matriculated at Brasenose College, Oxford, in the end of May 1581, graduated B.A. from St. Mary Hall in 1584, and proceeded M.A. from Brasenose in 1586 (Oxf. Univ. Reg., Oxf. Hist. Soc., ii. iii. 119). In 1594 he received the living of Stainton-in-Strata, Durham, and about 1610 was also head-master of Durham School. But he was ultimately deprived of his mastership for ‘a reflecting sermon’ against Ralph Tonstall, prebendary of Durham Cathedral, and retired to Stainton, where he taught a few boys. Wood speaks of him as a famous school-master, and eminent in the Hebrew tongue. He held the living of Stainton till his death in November 1638, and was buried there. He published several sermons, of which three are in the Bodleian Library. 1. ‘Upon Part (vv. 3–6) of the 2nd chapter of the 1st Epistle of St. John,’ Oxford, 1598, 8vo. 2. ‘Upon the same chapter (vv. 21–3), wherein the present state of the Papacie is in parte but impartially represented, and showed to be … plaine Anti-christian,’ London, 1609, 4to. 3. ‘Upon the Wordes of St. Paul, Rom. xiii. 1 … wherein the Pope's Sovereignitie over Princes is refuted,’ London, 1619, 4to. Besides these sermons Wood mentions ‘A Short Catechism for Young Children to learn by Law authorized,’ London, 1633, 8vo, and there is in the British Museum Library ‘A short Catechism … Translated into Hebrew by T. I.,’ 1633, 8vo.
[Wood's Athenæ (Bliss), iv. 592; Surtees's Durham, iii. 64.]
INGOLDSBY, Sir RICHARD (d. 1685), regicide, was the second son of Sir Richard Ingoldsby of Lenthenborough, Buckinghamshire, by Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Oliver Cromwell of Hinchinbrook, Huntingdonshire. He was educated at Thame grammar school (Croke, History of the Family of Croke, 1823, p. 616; Wood, Fasti, sub ann. 1649). At the outbreak of the civil war he held a captain's commission in Hampden's regiment, and in 1645 was colonel of a regiment of foot in the ‘New Model’ (Peacock,